Anyone use Banjo Burners with keggles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcbobs

Reaction score
I'm currently in the market for a new burner for my setup and have had my eyes on a banjo burner for quite awhile now. I only have one concern with it though... It would seem to me that the somewhat rounded bottom on my keggle would not sit very well on the top of the burner stand. I've been looking at the burner/stand combo from Northern Brewer. The link to the burner is http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...ow-profile-banjo-burner-burner-and-stand.html

My question to you all is if a keggle would sit well on top of the stand. If not, are there any great solutions to modifying either the stand or the keggle?

Thanks everyone!

I'm currently in the market for a new burner for my setup and have had my eyes on a banjo burner for quite awhile now. I only have one concern with it though... It would seem to me that the somewhat rounded bottom on my keggle would not sit very well on the top of the burner stand. I've been looking at the burner/stand combo from Northern Brewer. The link to the burner is http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...ow-profile-banjo-burner-burner-and-stand.html

My question to you all is if a keggle would sit well on top of the stand. If not, are there any great solutions to modifying either the stand or the keggle?

Thanks everyone!

That looks like the KAB4 that they're selling. The KAB6 is the same burner, but the stand is wider and I think that the regulator is higher pressure. The KAB4 stand is just a bit too small to use for keggles without some modification. The KAB6 fits a keggle just fine.

I have a KAB6 and lordy, how it goes through the propane. The KAB6 (all burners, really) are designed to be used with flat-bottom pots, not keggles, so a lot of heat gets wasted being shot out the sides. Which adds another problem - frying the valves and sight glasses and thermometers if you don't have heat shields placed under them.

People have fixed this problem with the KAB6 by moving the burner assembly upwards so that the burner is about 2" below the top of the frame. Much better use of propane after that, but the only thing is that you have to cut some welds and buy some U-bolts in order to do this. Another possibility I'm going to try out with mine is to take some thick sheet metal and just build the side walls of the burner up higher so that the heat doesn't have a chance to go sideways.

If I had the chance to do it all over again, I'd skip all of the nonsense and just buy a Blichmann burner. It's not much more expensive than the KAB6, it doesn't have the burner height problems and keggles fit on it.

Thanks for the info, LandoLincoln. You brought up some good points and after thinking things through, I think I'm gonna just have to bite the bullet and go with the Blichmann burner. I think it would last me longer and as a more efficient burner, it would probably save me a few bucks in the long run as well.

Thanks for the info, LandoLincoln. You brought up some good points and after thinking things through, I think I'm gonna just have to bite the bullet and go with the Blichmann burner. I think it would last me longer and as a more efficient burner, it would probably save me a few bucks in the long run as well.

What He Said ^, I hemed n Hawed, and just ordered a Blichmann . I do use a keggle. I hope to save a few bucks, O Propane too. And I really hate the black flame coated bottoms of every kettle I ever placed on top of my CHEAPO $40. BUCK BURNNER I use now!,

With that said, Anyone know where I thought I seen a thread on "Tuning Up "a Black Flame producing burrner? I don't seem to get the proper results with the search Button here.:mug:

Back