Brewing with raw wheat, straight from the field

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
last summer i scored a bunch of raw red winter wheat "say that ten times fast" straight from my grandpas field in KS, and decided to brew with it. There isn't an abundance of recipes involving raw wheat so I thought I'd post what i did.

6 lbs of 6 row malted barley
6 lbs of raw red winter wheat
1 lbs of flaked oats
1 lbs of rice hulls
1 oz of sorachi ace hops
1 tablespoon whole corriander
1 vial white labs belgium wheat yeast

Did a standard mill crush on the malted barley and a very fine crush on the wheat. "about the texture of corn meal"

Mashed at 150 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes

add .5 oz of hops at 45 minutes boil

add .25 oz of hops at 15 minutes boil

add .25 oz of hops at 5 minutes boil

add 1 tablespoon whole corriander at 5 minutes boil

and there it is, super simple, super delicious.

I have to say i thought this beer was going to be overly "grainy" due to the raw wheat but that is not the case. Turning out to be more of a lawnmower beer than anything. I'll definately be doing another batch of this.

Yum! Your recipe looks solid. I love unmalted wheat...really adds a nice, sharp, almost fruity wheaty flavor.

Hey! I missed this post until now!

I haven't had the guts to use that much raw wheat in a recipe yet, and as you said, there's not a whole lot out there. I play hockey with a bunch of farmers who are more than willing to trade grain for beer, and support my obsession.

Malting wheat's not hard, either, if you wanted to try it. The wheat farmers were skeptical of wheat beer at first, but my 3 parts wheat malt, 1 part 2-row, hopped to 12 IBU weizen has converted them (and is about as easy as recipes get!)

Thanks for posting your recipe!

Back