5lbs9oz of Munich ...? need sugestions/recipies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yuman

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing beer, have made a lot of meads and dabble in distilling (im inpatient and it works out) however I bought out a retired home brewer. Ended up with 17 gallons of black "Munich" extract plus several jars labeled with a weight (lbs and oz) ... Now what? I live in Yuma Az its cool outside and time to brew. Oh and the closest brew shops are 3 hours away .... Input?

Most average gravity brews use about 6 lbs of extract as the base malt. I'd jump on one of the online vendors and order 1 lbs of light DME, 2 oz of Northern Brewer hops, and some S-05 yeast and make the following:

5.75 lbs Munich LME
1 lb Light DME
0.75 oz Northern Brewer @ 60
0.75 oz Northern Brewer @ 15
0.50 oz Northern Brewer @ 5

What size pot do you have? Can you do a full-volume boil (about 6.8 gallons starting water volume), or do you need to do partial volume water and top off at the end? The procedure is slightly different depending.

Either way, I've made pretty much the same all-grain version of the recipe above, and it makes a great beer. Let me know your pot size and I can give you the rest of the procedure and temps.

Back