More wort in mash tun than I can fit in brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dachbach

Reaction score
I must have miscalculated something and I have more wort in my mash tun than I can fit in my brew pot. Should I add the remaining liquid as some of the wort boils off? Or should I just forget about it?

Thanks

Yeah, just boil a bit longer (before adding hops) or take the volume that you can boil down and deal with the efficiency loss.

first take a specific gravity reading. if you are at your target pre boil s.g., then proceed and throw out excess wort.

if the s.g. is too low, then boil down as much as you can and add the excess wort until you reach your target pre boil s.g.

Lol. I agree. If you're at your pre-boil SG with way too much volume, then look for a small pot to boil the excess and make a small batch with it.

But most likely, you messed up the water calculations and you are under your SG. I've had that happen a couple times. You can either add the excess to the main boil until you reach your pre-boil volume and SG, or you can boil the excess in a separate pot and add it to the main pot when there is room. The only reason to do the second method is that you can boil it down to the proper volume faster due to boiling two separate pots.

Thanks for all the replies. I neglected to mention that this was leftover in my mash tun after my second batch sparge.

Do all your comments still hold true or is it different considering I already got my first and second runnings? I'm still learning all this stuff, and just to play devil's advocate, isn't the amount of batch sparge water just an "arbitrary" number to get your total to the pre-boil volume you're looking for?

For the record, my SG was too low.

Boil the heck out of it, then add the rest and boil it some more. You dont want to end up watery beer do ya?

Latest posts

Back