American Amber Ale Much Better Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this last week with adjustments for 5.5 gallon BIAB. It smelled nice going into the fermentir and US-05 is happily working on it. Thanks for posting the recipe!

I have been drinking this one as it conditions in the keg. It is really a nice beer. I get a touch of 'dark malt' flavor which reminds me this isn't a pale ale. It goes down easy because the bittering is balanced with the malt. It is somewhat thick with regard to mouthfeel... I think I will mash at 152 next time instead of 154, but that is a personal choice.

I used 6 oz of amber malt in this version.

Anyway, thanks for publishing this. I like it and I'm going to do it again for sure.

I have been drinking this one as it conditions in the keg. It is really a nice beer. I get a touch of 'dark malt' flavor which reminds me this isn't a pale ale. It goes down easy because the bittering is balanced with the malt. It is somewhat thick with regard to mouthfeel... I think I will mash at 152 next time instead of 154, but that is a personal choice.

I used 6 oz of amber malt in this version.

Anyway, thanks for publishing this. I like it and I'm going to do it again for sure.

Did you make your own amber malt by roasting or was the malt store bought? I think I might mash lower next time for a more warm weather (less heavy) version of this beer. Good to learn that you enjoyed this brew.

msa8967 said:
Hope it goes well for you. I would much rather be brewing today on the 4th instead of going to my inlaws for the holiday. Their idea of good beer is Old Style light.

Old Style, that brings me back to college :) brew turned out great, I modified very slightly based upon what lhbs had but I think it will be a nice one. The centennial and cascade combo is going to be very nice I'm sure.

Sounds like a delicious beer - I hope to brew next weekend, so I better make a trip to the local HB shop.

Checking out the recipe, it looks kind of like an APA with more colour. Is that an accurate description?

Have you tried dry-hopping it, and if so how did that work out for you?

Looks like a lekker (nice) beer.

The only crystal malt I can get is 30L. So I was thinking of subbing the crystal and amber with chocolate malt but then sticking to the rest of your recipe. Any thoughts on that?

Sounds like a delicious beer - I hope to brew next weekend, so I better make a trip to the local HB shop.

Checking out the recipe, it looks kind of like an APA with more colour. Is that an accurate description?

Have you tried dry-hopping it, and if so how did that work out for you?

I have not tried dry hopping this beer yet because my wife likes the nice balance of the malt profile with this hop schedule. However, I might do an 8 gallon batch and then split this into two 4 gallon brews with the option to dry hop one of them. It is a pretty hoppy beer for being an amber recipe so calling it an APA with more color would be make sense.

Looks like a lekker (nice) beer.

The only crystal malt I can get is 30L. So I was thinking of subbing the crystal and amber with chocolate malt but then sticking to the rest of your recipe. Any thoughts on that?

I plugged using Crystal 30L into Beersmith and if you use just 2 oz of chocolate malt you will get a nice amber color but I don't think I would use more than 2 oz of chocolate malt.

The other option is to try making your own crystal malt using your oven. I have used the procedure below a few times to make small amounts of darker crystal when I was out.

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/...n-crystal-malt-for-beer-how-to-technique.html

I plugged using Crystal 30L into Beersmith and if you use just 2 oz of chocolate malt you will get a nice amber color but I don't think I would use more than 2 oz of chocolate malt.

The other option is to try making your own crystal malt using your oven. I have used the procedure below a few times to make small amounts of darker crystal when I was out.

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/...n-crystal-malt-for-beer-how-to-technique.html

thanks, maybe I will give making my own crystal a go.

i also realised i should have apologised for sort of hijacking your post... sorry.

thanks, maybe I will give making my own crystal a go.

i also realised i should have apologised for sort of hijacking your post... sorry.

You didn't hijack my post at all. I really appreciate the comments and suggestions people have posted on my recipe. With their input and questions my Much Better Amber Ale recipe has evolved into Even Better Amber Ale.:mug:

You didn't hijack my post at all. I really appreciate the comments and suggestions people have posted on my recipe. With their input and questions my Much Better Amber Ale recipe has evolved into Even Better Amber Ale.:mug:

Cool.

I have been playing around on beertools.com and not getting much luck with the IBU, which I think may is caused by the quantity of chocolate malt i am putting it.

Why do you say no more than 2 oz of chocolate malt? That's like 50 grams right?

The taste of chocolate malt can be very strong in my opinion. It has a nutty taste to it that can really stand out in larger amounts. So if you are just wanting to use the chocolate malt to help with giving this color then 2 oz will do it. Using 3 oz would be OK too but going to 4 oz would b too much for my taste. Then again, you might have hit on something that could make this recipe stand out.

Then again, you might have hit on something that could make this recipe stand out.

Right now i have a lager (could be a helles or dunkel) that is made from 5kg pilsner malt and 250grams chocolate malt and so far it tastes superb

Helly said:
Doing an extract version of this today. Thanks for the recipe.

Just tested and tasted today. It needs to clear up but it's going to be a really nice beer. I'll probably put it in the keg next Sunday.

Going back to this, at the bottom of the article it says "Once the roasting is done, remove the malt from the heat and let it cool. Store in a cool, dry place for 2 to 6 weeks"

How important is it to leave it that long? will i get away with using the crystal malt a day after I make it?

Going back to this, at the bottom of the article it says "Once the roasting is done, remove the malt from the heat and let it cool. Store in a cool, dry place for 2 to 6 weeks"

How important is it to leave it that long? will i get away with using the crystal malt a day after I make it?

I have made beer the next day and 2 weeks later without noticing any big difference between these 2 options. As long as you are using a small amount it should be OK.

i took 400 grams pale malt through the SeriousEats recipe. I aimed for 100 lavibond and got 380 grams out. I think thats an ok conversion. Photo below.

The Amber Ale will be brewed this weekend.

Crystal Malt - July 2013.jpeg

Mike, please can you share your mash, sparge and pre and end boil volumes.

As you may have gathered I am fired up to brew this!

For my 5 gallon recipe you will need 7.5 gallons of water. I average about 75% efficiency.

Mash in with 3.5 gallons at 165 F and hold mash at 152 F for 60 minutes.

Batch sparge with 2 gallons at 165 F twice to collect a total pre-boil volume of about 6 gallons with SG of 1.052.

My final volume is close to 5 gallons with an SG of 1.058.

Are these the numbers you were looking for? Do you need them in metric units?

These are US gallons. One US gallon = 3.78 Liters or 4 quarts. An imperial gallon is 5 quarts which would be over 4 liters.

Ok, one day I will understand this!

My grain bill will come to 5kg so will adjust the volumes up slight, but will target the SG you mention earlier with the sparge.

thanks

msa8967 said:
Would you mind posting a picture of this once you are drinking it? I would like to see how the extract version came out for you.

This is in the keg but I haven't tapped it yet. I got a little behind my intended schedule. The taste I had when I put it in the keg was really good.

Helly said:
This is in the keg but I haven't tapped it yet. I got a little behind my intended schedule. The taste I had when I put it in the keg was really good.

First pint. It was pretty darn good despite being cloudy and a bit green. I expect it will clear up a little as I pull a few more pints and it settles. Excited to share with family and friends and excited to try the all grain recipe too.

image-754773217.jpg

First pint. It was pretty darn good despite being cloudy and a bit green. I expect it will clear up a little as I pull a few more pints and it settles. Excited to share with family and friends and excited to try the all grain recipe too.

That looks fantastic. Mine is in the fermenter and SG has hit 1.01 so will be coming out soon.

What pressure do you carbonate to? for bottles?

thanks

Likefully said:
That looks fantastic. Mine is in the fermenter and SG has hit 1.01 so will be coming out soon.

What pressure do you carbonate to? for bottles?

thanks

I set it at 15 for a few days then dialed it back to about 9 and that's where I've got it now. Seems to be properly carbed but not foaming too much.

Just so happens I am making my 20th batch of this tomorrow also. I will be putting in a few changes to the original recipe that some other brewers have suggested. I would like to have this kegged and carbed for my daughter's first birthday in late October. (No...the beer won't be for her but for our adult friends with years of experience raising kids.)

Helly said:

I wanted to clear this up so I tried the gelatin trick for the first time. Seems to have helped immensely. Not crystal clear but better. Taking the rest of the keg to a party tomorrow. I think it will be a hit.

image-4016219368.jpg

Back