Your experiences with HB Competitions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
I just happen to find out that the Alameda County Fair has a "Bay Area Brew Off" which is gonna happen sometime in the next couple of months. This got me thinking it might be a good time to enter one, maybe get some feedback on my brew. So what's been you're experience with competitions? Do they even give you any feedback other than "yes" or "no"? Have any of you won anything?

I've never entered any, but observed several. The feedback people get can be extensive, but it can also be contaminated by one really opinionated person on a panel. I've seen judges stonewall until everyone agrees with them just to move on to the next brew.

Most competitors seem to find it worth while. Try and get a copy of one of the feedback forms the judges will be using.

And enter styles most people don't make, yet another double IPA has almost no chance of winning.

david_42 said:
I've never entered any, but observed several. The feedback people get can be extensive, but it can also be contaminated by one really opinionated person on a panel. I've seen judges stonewall until everyone agrees with them just to move on to the next brew.

Most competitors seem to find it worth while. Try and get a copy of one of the feedback forms the judges will be using.

And enter styles most people don't make, yet another double IPA has almost no chance of winning.

I have never seen any judges try to sway other judges, the judges I've helped usually don't say much unless another judge has a problem figuring out an off flavor.

If you have never entered a beer you really should do it once, you get feedback on your beer and it helps you to actually taste your own beer.

I have entered 2 comps and I got 1st and 2nd which was cool but I don't brew to win ribbons, I just like beer.

boo boo said:
I have two brews entered in the March in Montreal event. I'm just looking for some feedback but it would be an ego trip to win something.

That's my home club Boo Boo, are you coming here for the actual event? Want me to video the presntation ceremony?

Mikey said:
That's my home club Boo Boo, are you coming here for the actual event? Want me to video the presntation ceremony?

Naah, a best of show would be nice, lol.

I would love to be there for the entire weekend.

You must be with the ALERS.
icon14.gif

I'm with MoB. A long distance relationship, lol.

As I understand it the weekend starts with some tour on Friday night?
Seminars plus the comp on saturday, etc. Some of our guys in the Ottawa
area I think are going. Supposed to be a priemier event in Canadian
homebrewing for this year.

omniscientomar said:
So what's been you're experience with competitions? Do they even give you any feedback other than "yes" or "no"?
I have worked several competitions as a Steward and Head Steward. It has always been our job to peruse the score sheets to make sure the judges are giving enough feedback. To date I've never sent a score sheet sent back to a judge for more info.

Wild

Sweet, thanks guys.. I'm definitely going to enter then. Like I said, it would be good to get some feedback. Now I just have to wait a couple of months...

omniscientomar said:
Sweet, thanks guys.. I'm definitely going to enter then. Like I said, it would be good to get some feedback. Now I just have to wait a couple of months...

Good luck!

BTW...that time lapse video in your sig is kick ass. :rockin:

Back