Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkimac1027

Reaction score
I have Amarillo, Tettnanger, Horizon, and Cascade whole hops right now vaccuum sealed in my fridge, and i am still on kits so far- 2 down. My Irish Red- i threw in about a handfull+ of Horizon for the (60 minutes of the boil) 11% AAUs i read about, and i am about to dry hop it, as i need to rack it to the secondary today. Reccomendations on which hops to use? I have ny heart set on a Double Red Style :)

I know Cascade gives a citrusy aroma, but it seems that hop is used so much already in tons of beers, i was looking for something a little different, but i am not certain that i have what i would need for a good dry hopping hop. SO if all else fails and my best bet is Cascade- thats fine too.

Another question, I really like the grapefruit taste in some of the IPAs and Double IPAs that i have tried. I read that Cascade and Cenntenial are good ones for that, but is adding rind, or substatuting some fresh squeezed grapefruit juice in place of water for the primary fermentation an okay thought?
My first thought, is is the acid of the grapefruit juice going to hurt/kill my yeast?
if not, i imagine that the sweetness of the grapefruit juice would help fermentation, due to sugar content in citrus fruits....
i cant imagine that sanitization would be an issue because acid content.....

If this is a completely stupid question, i could totally see it coming...
*oh and a little backgroud, i love bitter. I love super hoppy and Double IPAs, i have only found a few beers that i consider might be a little too hoppy for me.*

Thaks for any advice guys :mug:

For dryhopping, any of those hops you have onhand should be good.

The acidity in grapefruit probably wouldn't hurt the wort, but it may make it astringant. If you add the rind, just use the outside of the peel. The white part of the rind will also add astringants. Using Centennial and Cascade as aroma hops will give that grapefruit flavor. I made an Arrogant Bastard clone that's all Chinook and really hoppy. Smells and tastes divine!

here is a good site on comparing and selecting hops. It also has a grains chart at the bottom describing what grains do what.

Thnaks for the site, i will check that out and keep that as a bookmark.

So i guess i will check out one of the hops, becuase i tried dry hopping my IPA and i used many of the hops thta i have, and now i cant tell which one it is, so i cant tell a specific quality or taste. so i am guessing this grapefruit fiasco might not be my best thought....

You have Amarillo, which is my new favorite hop. I put some (along with some Williamette) in a red ale that is now in its prime and it is awesome - I split an ounce 50/50 between 45 minutes and ten minutes. It is a totally different taste and I can't say I won't get tired of it, but I haven't yet.

Cascade Draught. My regular, lets get banjaxed beer.

theCan.jpg

Back