Halcyon Pale Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

platypotamus

Reaction score
Hi all... I'm working on an English Brown ale that calls for Halcyon Pale Malt for roughly half of its base grain. Unfortunately, my LHBS does not carry Halcyon. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this malt, and, if so, if there's any specific substitution that you could think of.

Here's part of the description from Midwest ~

"A floor-malted barley malt from a single barley variety (Halcyon)... Halcyon Pale Ale Malt is considered to be one of the last remaining "traditional" English Pale Malts. Adds a degree of biscuit flavor to the beer. Brighter and lighter in flavor than Pearl, Halcyon is a great malt for the production of Real Ales. It tends to produce a less sweet wort than Maris Otter."​

maybe just half the amount and go with MO and some biscuit instead? Or perhaps some pilsner malt or golden promise? go ahead and order from someone who does carry it?

just looking for some ideas. thanks.

Any UK pale malt would make an acceptable substitute. A blend of UK and Weyermann's German pale malt might be good too.

I have used it before in a brown mild (as 100% of base malt) recipe that turned out absolutely delicious! Seriously one of the best beers I have ever tasted. I would try to source it if you can. I think I got mine from Brewmasters Warehouse. MO and a little biscuit might give you that good English malt overtone but I would try to brew the recipe as written if you can.

Thanks guys. I am leaning towards sourcing it, since this is meant to be a clone. Coming to realize I need to add grain mill to the top of my wishlist. I've become spoiled by Bewmasters Warehouse, in that I can order specific quantities of my grains and have them crush for me.

Back