Who's brewing this weekend (Feb. 16-18)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well... Saturday, I will be brewing my FIRST batch ever!!! :mug:
I'm nervous as hell, but I'm sure it will go ok... I HOPE!!! Be warned, I might be posting a ton of 'HELP!!!' requests! ;)

David

Dude said:
Sweet. I like how you manage your time. What time ya starting? I'll be getting going about 10 am tomorow....I think I'll be brewing in the garage. Gonna be chilly. ;)

Hey, which yahoo ID of yours should I IM you at?

Sometime between 8 and 10, whenever I roll out of bed.

davidr2340 said:
Well... Saturday, I will be brewing my FIRST batch ever!!! :mug:
I'm nervous as hell, but I'm sure it will go ok... I HOPE!!! Be warned, I might be posting a ton of 'HELP!!!' requests! ;)

David

Don't be nervous--you probably won't screw it up. Have fun and drink a beer. :mug:

Well I didn't think I was, but I made an order with AHBS yesterday, and since I'm so close, I will get it today. So I think I'll be brewing two batches on Monday. :D Oh, and I have to transfer the Caramel Cream Ale to the secondary.

feedthebear said:
Brewing my first Lambic. I hope to be drinking it by Sept 2008.

Are you using the multi strain? I am seriously interested in getting into Lambics. I am going to ask at a local winery if I can buy an old barrel from them.

I have to bottle my Stock Ale, and I'm gonna try to work in the ESB from the last BYO on Saturday. I need to have some small beer around.
I also need another primary, I'll either have to buy one or use one if my 5 gallon glass secondaries for the first time.
I think I'll be smart and make do with the 5 gallon for now and order another ported Better Bottle next week.

I'm Brewing the House Hefewiesen in about an hour, Then its off to work. Sunday I'm off to Colorado to go skiing. (first time, hope I don't die)

1st time skiier heading to CO? That's like a 1st time driver in a viper. Got an experienced person going with you too? Stick to the runs that you're comfortable with. Learn to slow down, speed kills :).

I'll be brewing another batch of RedHook's ESB this weekend.
And something TBD the weekend after. Trying to do one brew a week to get stockpiled for summer.

I'm doing a batch of Haus Pale Ale using my bulk grain recently purchased. It's the virgin run for my Barley Crusher. I'm making another batch of Apfelwein too!

Yesterday I brewed up a batch of Red Ale that I worked up a little recipe for, check it out:

Red Ale:
5 lbs Bulk Amber LME
1 lb Amber DME
½ lb Crystal Malt
½ lb Vienna Malt
1 lb CaraRed
1 oz Cascade Hops – Bittering
1 oz Cascade Hops – Flavoring
1 oz Perle Hops – Aroma
Safale S-04 Dry Yeast

Later today I am going to try doing a full boil on a 2.5 gallon batch for the Beer Machine I got for Christmas. Check this one out:

Beer Machine Beer:
2 lbs Bulk Light LME
1 lb Extra Light DME
½ lb Pilsner Malt
½ oz Warrior Hops
½ oz Saaz Hops
Nottingham Dry Yeast

The Red Ale is already bubbling like crazy and the Beer Machine is still in need of a cleaning from my last experiment so that will be later in the day. :ban:

I made my starter last night. But it doesn't look like its working. The yeast was 1/2 a month past expiration. Looks like I'll be hitting the LHBS on my lunch for another Belgain Ale Yeast.

desertBrew said:
Not brewing but am heading into work Sat towork on my three tier frame. Got two batches to get into their kegs tonight for a party next week as well. Can't wait for the Pub Ale, Dude. I couldn't believe how friggen clear that guy came out when racking.

PS - you got a thread around here on that brew? I wanted to convey some results on my mash etc but won't hijack here. Searching for pub ale is unachievable because of the 3 letter words :(.

Here you go desertBrew;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=17534

I'm brewing my 1st 3-step Partial Mash with my New Rubbermaid MLT. The MLT will be just for lautering and sparging today.

I'll be brewing Chuck's Daisy Mae Dortmunder Lager: (Its supposed to have a rich creamy head, light but full bodied.) [droolin' right now....]
2tsp Gypsum
2.5 lbs 6-Row
.5 dextrine malt
.5 Toasted 2-row
6lbs Lt DME
1.5 Hallertauer Boiling: 8-9HBU
.5 Saaz Finishing
1/4tsp Irish Moss
Superior Dry Lager Yeast​

All of the lady's are going to a bachelorette party, me and the dog are brewing along with some hot chili going on the back burner!!!

Can't wait till they go!!!

Pitched at 3:45, was all cleaned up by 4:30. My first rye is in the books and should be fermenting soon! I'm very glad I used the rice hulls, I used 1/2 lb in my partial mash. The mash was thick and a bit sticky, but didn't have any problems.

I'm not brewing this weekend, but I am putting together a batch of Arancello...it's Limoncello with oranges rather than lemons. It's not nearly as involved as brewing, but it is a pain to peel 30 oranges without getting any of the white pith. I'm sure I'll down a couple of homebrews to keep me sane while I'm peelin'.

Brewed my Pawtucket Patriot IPA this morning, and its doing just fine. This is my house brew, and is very tasty. Simple recipes of 2 row, German Dark, and Carapils, with Northern Brewer and Hallertau, and one of my Pac-Man's.

Gotta love Pac-Man!

My next is a Cherry Chocolate Rye.

Picked up my Belgain Abby smack pack. It inflated nicely until I tried to open it. I ripped a little corner open. Decided I needed more so I pulled just a little harder and the bag gave up all resistance. I threw 1/2 of the yeast all over the wall.

I'll have to remember to use scissors next time.

Scissors are good. Don't run with them though, you might spill your homebrew!

Anyone planting trees in the rain? Besides me, of course.

i bottled ten gallons of bitter and stout yesterday... i am planning on saving half of it for the st. paddy's day party!!!

sunday sunday sunday we are brewing up a california common while we watch the hillbillies race their automobiles at daytona!

9 lbs pale malt
.5 lbs 60L
.5 lbs american matl 50L

columbus and cascade hops. columbus for bitter, cascade for aroma

got the san francisco lager yeast by whitelabs.

single infusion at 150-154ish... :mug:

boiling in the garage *gasp* cause the three foot of snow piled up outside is not pleasant to sit in....

t1master said:
boiling in the garage *gasp* cause the three foot of snow piled up outside is not pleasant to sit in....

Yah, I know what you mean. It was wickedly cold here last night, no snow just frigid zero temps. Doesn't inspire one to sit outside....

I haven't brewed anything in 2 weeks. This is killing me. Is there a 12-step program for homebrewing? Grrr. I mean, seriously...I have more bottled beer than I know what to do with. At least 25 cases of the stuff. It's absurd. And I have 5 carboys full of secondary-conditioning high-grav brews, too. And all I can think about is...brewing more? Someone help me.

15 gallons of alt

15 gallons of spring ale

next sat - brewing 15 gallons of kolsch

Evan! said:
I haven't brewed anything in 2 weeks. This is killing me. Is there a 12-step program for homebrewing? Grrr. I mean, seriously...I have more bottled beer than I know what to do with. At least 25 cases of the stuff. It's absurd. And I have 5 carboys full of secondary-conditioning high-grav brews, too. And all I can think about is...brewing more? Someone help me.

If it helps, why don't you ship a couple cases out to your buddies, so that it doesn't completely take over your basement...

Seriously, after a certain point, there's no need to keep brewing that much - if it doesn't get drunk, it'll end up sitting around too long. Methinks you need to throw yourself a kick-ass party, invite all your buds, and drink up some of that stash.

the_bird said:
If it helps, why don't you ship a couple cases out to your buddies, so that it doesn't completely take over your basement...

Seriously, after a certain point, there's no need to keep brewing that much - if it doesn't get drunk, it'll end up sitting around too long. Methinks you need to throw yourself a kick-ass party, invite all your buds, and drink up some of that stash.

Yeah, along those lines, bird, you'll be getting more than you bargained for when I send those bottles out. I got the box and the bubble wrap ready, and am planning to send it out tomorrow. :rockin: There'll be some weird stuff, like the lemon-lime pale, but just roll with it. And please don't feel the need to reciprocate in kind.

Honestly, I just want more stouts & porters right now. Stout and porter are some of my favorite brews outside of wacky belgian stuff that I can't reproduce. I think, from here on in, for the more part, I'm going the way of Walker. Gonna concentrate on perfecting my favorites. Steffiwiezen, Dark Horse Stout, IPA(s), Smoked Porter...and then some seasonal ones here and there. I've, for the most part, gotten the crazy experimentation stage out of my system; though, there will always be new stuff I wanna try.

As it stands now, I think I want to dump the oatmeal stout that never got any less sour. Damn papazian and his whole "dry hop your oatmeal stout with crystal pellets" idea. Totally screwed up a damn fine beer. I mean, who wants a sour stout? And, unfortunately, I'm contemplating dumping what I have left of the Goat Scrotum, which, again, Papazian screwed me by suggesting an ounce of spruce extract. Now, it's all pine tree, to the point of being absurd. Ah well. Such is life. I'd like to try the goat scrotum again, this time without the goddamned pine tree air freshener.

Anyway, enough rambling. Thanks for agreeing with my wife, Jay---I have way too much beer already, and, well, I have a tendency to not listen to her when it comes to this, because of her bias (she doesn't like it too much when I brew, because she doesn't get to see me, and it also means I'm not working on the basement renovation either). So, yeah...thanks.

One more thing: I have some Wit and Weihenstephaner Wheat yeast packs. In order for a wit and a hefe to be drinking for the summer, when should I brew them? I know a hefe is drinkable right outta primary pretty much...but since it gets hot in my basement pretty quickly, I don't want to wait too long.

the_bird said:
I'm not telling you to slow down your brewing, Evan....

I'm telling you to up your consumption ;)

Your wife agree with that, too?

I was thinking about both. Trying to stock up for the summer during wintertime. I love it...my secondary ale carboys are sitting at like 50-52f right now. It's like cold-conditioning without even trying. Giggity-giggity.

Yeah, fortunately, wifey don't mind how much I drink.

Gonna bring a nice stash to poker on Tuesday....always goes quickly.

I just moved my ESB from the secondary to the keg, the SNCA from the primary to the seconday, and picked up some ingredients for a brew (hopefully) this week. Easy weekend.

ill.literate said:
We are!

I surprised Shimms last night with the goods to make a porter, based on Uncle Charlie's Goat Scrotum Ale. It's an extract recipe, and our second batch. Can't wait!

Yes!

Hit the OG spot on at 1.070! Looks fantastic and we're all done but some of the remaining cleanup. Chili (which included a bottle Capital's Munich Dark) is in the crock pot waiting to be consumed and we're watching the end of the Daytona 500.

Next weekend, hopefully, we'll put together my IIPA.

Back