Configuring CO2 to Serve and to Carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am oh so close to ordering my "stuff" to get started but I have these lingering questions.

If I have my CO2 connected to a regulator which is then connected to a 4-way manifold, that should give me two lines to push beer out of my two kegs in the Sanyo and two other lines...one to force carbonate a new keg and one to do...well...whatever you would do with a fourth CO2 line. :)

Here is where my thinking gets muttled. If I have my kegs set at ~5 PSI for normal "push" pressure, how do I jack up the gas to the third line for a quick forced carbonation session without overdosing my serving kegs? Do I have to buy a whole seperate regulator for those other CO2 "jobs" or does the temporary 30PSI while I shake the snot out of my corny not affect the beer in the fridge?

I am perplexed.... :drunk:

You have three options: a secondary regulator, increasing the pressure while force carbonating, or connecting at your standard pressure and waiting a week. Or buy a second CO2 rig to force carbonate and use at parties.

What if close the two valvels going to the beer, open the PSI to 30, shake, wait and then set PSI back to "norm" and reopen all valves...?

By the way, what do you normally set your serving PSI at?

KalvinEddie said:
What if close the two valvels going to the beer, open the PSI to 30, shake, wait and then set PSI back to "norm" and reopen all valves...?

By the way, what do you normally set your serving PSI at?

This is just what I do - just shut off the two going to the beer and crank up the pressure for carbonating. Keep in mind here CO2 absorbs quite slowly, so even if you first cranked up the pressure, then closed the valves to the 2 serving beer kegs, you aren't going to ruin them - just purge a little CO2 from them, (or draw off a beer, that is what I do :tank: ) to get back to "normal" pressure.

Back