No time to wash yeast...just wondering....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkincaid

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bottled my triple chocolate stout last night and after all was said and done, I decided to harvest some yeast and keep them for my next stout. They are White Labs Irish Ale yeasties. I didn't have time to wash them properly and dispense them into jars. So I sterilized the White Labs vial they came in and scooped a couple table spoons of the trub into it, sealed it and stuck it in the fridge with the intention of washing it later. Is this ok? Will the yeast still be viable? I mean if they don't make it, it's not like I'm stressing, I can just buy some more. But out of curiosity.....

TIA guys!

Should be OK....I wouldn't bother to wash it at this point. Washing works well when you have alot of yeast (like a whole 5 gallon batch worth of yeast), and you need to separate it from other gunk that settles out in your fermenter.

I'd make a starter and pitch that sample in that.

+1 to broadbill on making a starter.

This may conservative, but I've heard that you should use the yeast within two weeks. I've heard of people going much longer. Like four to six months. But the longer you wait, the more mutations that happen. The more the yeast die off. This can result in yeast that don't exhibit the same characteristics of the yeast that you purchased fresh in the vial.

I kind of did the same, but instead of a little in a vial, I just dumped in all into a big jar. So now it seperated into three layers, should I continue to wash it or just make a starter with the good layer of yeast? I will brew about a week and a half after the initial wash.

Back