First competition...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ara35

Reaction score
So I got my results back from my first competition. War of the Worts in Pennsylvania. I just want to know if this is a good set of scores...

Irish Red - 34
Holiday - 36
IPA - 40 (2nd place out of 41 entrants)

This is the first competition and I just was wondering where these would fall. Is this a good competition overall? Are these good scores for their respected categories?? Thanks

From a number standpoint, those are great scores. From the judging ability???? Who knows? IMHO you need at least ten sheets on the same beer to get an overall rating

okay. well the good news is they were 40 and 40 for the ipa, and then within three number seperation for the other two. so it wasnt like one guy said 50 and one said 30, but still i understand why more input would obviously result in a better understanding. thank you.

The numbers are good, but whats more important are the comments. Hopefully they are constructive and can give you advice on getting those mid 30 beers up into the 40's.

FWIW, the scoring guide is:

Outstanding (45 - 50): World-class example of style
Excellent (38 - 44): Exemplifies style well, requires minor fine-tuning
Very Good (30 - 37): Generally within style parameters, some minor flaws
Good (21 - 29): Misses the mark on style and/or minor flaws
Fair (14 - 20): Off flavors, aromas or major style deficiencies
Problematic (0 - 13): Major off flavors and aromas dominate

That's great news. Congrats.

From what I've seen, those numbers are really high and you should be very happy.

HOW DID I MISS THAT????

I just thought.. hmm, that chart seems familiar.. ITS ON EVERY SHEET!

I guess I just get caught up with comments that I dont even look around before posting my questions. Sorry folks

Yes, those are all very good scores. Especially the IPA. In most comps IPA is one of most entered and toughest categories. Congrats.

Just curious were these AG or partials?

Sadly, they were partials... :(

thats why i was happy with the ipa because it was more about the hopping and i came up with my own hopping schedule

I have brewed 3 all grains, but they were not ready for the competition. So in my opinion... its kind of cheating. but i'll take it for now.

I dont think it is cheating at all because from what I read the beer is completely dependent on YOUR process. The same partial could be made by say, me, and come out ****. This just gives newbies like me a lot of hope for what we are able to do with limited equipment. Just the other day there was a guy on this forum telling everyone that the only way to make a good beer was to go AG. Puts that myth to bed.

Congratulations on the comp.

So I got my results back from my first competition. War of the Worts in Pennsylvania. I just want to know if this is a good set of scores...

Irish Red - 34
Holiday - 36
IPA - 40 (2nd place out of 41 entrants)

This is the first competition and I just was wondering where these would fall. Is this a good competition overall? Are these good scores for their respected categories?? Thanks

Nicely done on your IPA!

I entered my 2nd brew in the War this year, just to get some "non-friend" feedback. I scored a 30/50 on my Spiced Winter Porter, which is about what I expected, and was pleased with.

The best parts were the comments on my scoresheet. They gave some excellent pointers on upping certain malts/grains and cutting back on some of the spices. Definitely will put those into effect next winter when I brew it again.

I know some people are turned off by competitions, but I was pleased with my first experience, and the knowledge I gained from it.

Wow, how did you get your sheets back so fast? Did you attend? I look at the score validity by what level the judges were. I'm not saying certified and higher can't make mistakes but a LOT of comps let novices with no BJCP knowledge judge.

Congrats on the IPA. This was my first competition too and I scored a 39.5 on an American Stout but didn't place. I was told anything from about 35+ was very good and would have a chance at placing, so I think your scores where all quite good.

Wow, how did you get your sheets back so fast? Did you attend? I look at the score validity by what level the judges were. I'm not saying certified and higher can't make mistakes but a LOT of comps let novices with no BJCP knowledge judge.

I had 1 "National" judge, and 1 "Certified" judge. I also picked up the sheets in person.

Sounds like you did well. One of friend of mine entered 14 different and only scored in one. His imperial stout. His stuff is always good. Are you in a homebrew club in the area?

Back