Would you pitch this starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyO

Reaction score
I am planning to brew a sweet stout this weekend, so I made a starter last night for the White Labs Irish Ale liquid yeast that had just arrived in the mail.

This is my first time using this yeast (first stout too) and only my second starter. I used light DME to make the starter. After pitching the yeast, the wort was darker than what I am used to, but I hoped that was because of the strain of yeast.

This morning, I went to swirl the flask and I was greated with what looked like the top of a latte if you sprinkled some chocolate powder on top (pics below).

Is this par for this yeast, or do I have an infected batch on my hands?

starter.jpg

A closer look:
closerstarter.jpg

:confused:
Thanks in advance.

Looks fine. It is just solid protein matter from the DME. I've seen that in many starters that were not infected.

i just brewed a stout and the top of my starter looked just like that at pitching. fermentation finished in 1.5 days. the starter was double that size though. only took a few hours for it to get like that too. pitch it!

Nice, thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to pitching these little guys.

No this looks bad. You need PM me and I'll give you my address and you need to send me this yeast right away for further analysis. I'm not sure what we're dealing with here, but it can't be any good. :rockin::D

I am planning to brew a sweet stout this weekend, so I made a starter last night for the White Labs Irish Ale liquid yeast that had just arrived in the mail.

This is my first time using this yeast (first stout too) and only my second starter. I used light DME to make the starter. After pitching the yeast, the wort was darker than what I am used to, but I hoped that was because of the strain of yeast.

This morning, I went to swirl the flask and I was greated with what looked like the top of a latte if you sprinkled some chocolate powder on top (pics below).

Is this par for this yeast, or do I have an infected batch on my hands?

starter.jpg

A closer look:
closerstarter.jpg

:confused:
Thanks in advance.

Take off the foil cap and hold it up to your monitor so I can smell it.

It looks fine.

Back