Super cheap hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKG

Reaction score
Hi, new guy here. I did a search for bulk hops and found a place called herballovemall.com They sell organic hops of an unspecified variety for $11.79 per lb. They call it Frontier's whole flower hops. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about it. For that price it might be worth trying. Is there such a thing as bad hops? Thanks in advance for any info.

$11.79/lb is pretty good price, but I am unfamiliar with that place. But a good source for cheap hops is hopsdirect.com. I think there are a lot of users here that buy from them (myself included).

Well, I was on hopsdirect the other day and the few varities I was looking at were ~$17/lb. Even if you're brewing IPAs, that would be what, an extra dollar (at most) per batch to get a hop that you KNOW is good for brewing? Two or three cents a pint to not futz around, to get a beer that's not going to have old hops or weird flavors or not be something you can replicate?

Hops sold by herbal companies tend to be very low AA varieties called 'tea' hops. The idea being you're brewing a hop tea for it's sedative effects and you want minimal bitterness. Might be OK for flavor/aroma, but I wouldn't buy them over the Internet. In a store, maybe.

I did check out hops direct, too. Centennial for $20 a pound is an awesome deal compared to $3.99 an ounce at the liquor barn, which is where i get most of my supplies(just because it is close to home and no shipping) Thanks for the info.

Yeah, stick with hopsdirect. Their current best deal is Willamette pellets for $10.50/lb which is crazy good. If I didn't already have 1/2 lb in my freezer (which cost me about the same as this lb), I'd be all over this like flies on . . . .

I'm going to start buying some of my hops from Hops Direct due to the low prices. I normally deal with Yakima Valley Hops......... Prices are decent, and the selection is far better..... They've treated me pretty well. I never buy anything less than half a pound....... I often put an ounce per gallon in my brews..... sometimes more.......

H.W.

Back