How long is too long in a secondary for a wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbeerpig

Reaction score
So I brewed a wheat a couple of months ago and let it sit in the primary for a week, moved to a secondary and hid away in a dark place. Now it is about a month and a half latter and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions (I found it when I was checking my appfelwein:drunk:). My main concern is I bottle carb and I fear that there is nothing left to get a good carb. Also slight chance it has spoiled but doubt it... Airlock is still intact unless the yeasties did something to the flavor. Any suggestions or thoughts are welcomed on the subject. I just wanted to throw the question out there before I either bottle this weekend or start over. Any help is appreciated.

I would taste it and see where its at. Wheats are meant to be consumed young, so it might not be at its peak, but its most likely still tasty. How many months is a couple?

If you are worried about it bottle carbing you could pitch some addition dry yeast at bottling time for some peace of mind (although its probably fine). Another half pack of rehydrated notty or s-05 usually does the trick for me.

This may be the only time when I don't say the obligatory "It's ruined, send it to me". Not a huge fan over older weizens. That said, I have a friend who lets his sit for a couple months before he bottles and he loves it. I think he re-pitches though. I'm still trying to figure out if he does it intentionally or if he's just lazy and forgets.

I would taste it and see where its at. Wheats are meant to be consumed young, so it might not be at its peak, but its most likely still tasty. How many months is a couple?

If you are worried about it bottle carbing you could pitch some addition dry yeast at bottling time for some peace of mind (although its probably fine). Another half pack of rehydrated notty or s-05 usually does the trick for me.

It has been in the secondary since april 18 so a good month and a half.

people secondary 6 months, don't pitch new yeast, and still get bottle carbonation. you are fine. bottle like normal, and get a calendar you can mark on to remind yourself next time :)

If you're worried, just make sure you swipe the bottom with the racking cane a time or two to get some yeast swirled up into the beer and transferred into the bottling bucket. I do that with hefeweizens anyway, I like lots of yeast in the final product. They also carbonate faster that way :D

Thanks for the tip on the swiping. I have a Bavarian wheat ready to bottle in a week, and, getting a little extra Weihenstephan flavor into the beer will really help. Thanks!

I know this topic is a little old, but thought I'd resurrect it.

I'm brewing the Lemon Coriander Weiss kit from Midwest brew. It was in the primary for 2.5 weeks, and has been in the secondary for about 2. I noticed the yeast settling to the bottom. Should I stir that up a little bit and get it back up into the beer before bottleing?

As is , But when he said stir it up he meant just ge a little bit of yeast stirred up, That won't hurt either.

yeah, that's what I think I'll do. I was just planning on taking a sterilized carboy brush and slowly mixing up the yeast on the bottom of the carboy a little. Very slowly so I don't aerate the beer at all.

Back