BYO Adjustable Trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoisufnoC

Reaction score
I can't wrap my mind around how to assemble the BYO Adjustable Trellis. The article says...

A simple adjustable trellis can be made from a 1” x 2” X 8’ or similarly sized stake, a #6 (or similar) hook and eye and some hop twine. You will also need some regular twine (jute or sissel or whatever works for you).

and then later

Adjustable Trellis
If you set up the adjustable trellis as described earlier, the hop vines will soon grow towards the top of the stake. When they are a few inches below the eye, untie the twine from the base of the stake and feed out a few feet of twine, letting the vine droop a bit. You may need to pull the vine gently downward to get the twine to slide through the hook and eye. Then, loosely tie the twine to the stake again.

So do you put the hook at the bottom of the stake and the eye at the top? Tie one end of the twine to the hook, thread it through the eye, and tie the rest to the stake?

I'm embarrassed, but I can't wrap my mind around how its assembled.

Basically, you just need to put the 1x2x8 in the port with a eye screw in the top of the 1x2x8.. Tie off the twine to container some how and then through the eye screw at the top.. As the plant gets closer to the top you just let out more twine.. The plant will end up on the ground or close to it as it continues to grow up and you let out more twine from the top.

Hop I didnt confuse you more..

that makes way more sense. the whole "hook" business was throwing me off. sounds good, thanks!

You should be able to pick up a box for under 5 dollars at the hardware store.. I still have a few left after using them to tie the twine to the top of the roof.

I just built 2 of these a week ago. All supplies bought at Home Depot for $88.
4 bags of miracle gro potting soil. (Each covers 1.25 cubic feet) (about $9 each)
2 20" plastic pots. ($15 each)
2 1x2x8 pieces of lumber. (Under $5 each I think)
3 pack of #6 hook and eye bolts. ($4)
1 roll of jute twine (Under $5)
1 roll of sissal twine (didn't need it) ($under$5)
4 drip line stakes @ $.97 each. (I used these because they had holes to tie through)
1 container of miracle gro all purpose plant food ($10)

Fill each pot with 2 bags of soil. Screw the eye hooks into the top of each piece of lumber. Put lumber into pots (at the back of the pot) and move back and forth to get it stuck in there good. Take about 25' of twine and thread it through the eye hook. Tie one end to the stake and mount it to the front of the pot. Nicely wrap upt the remaining twine and mount to a stake directly behind the pole. Plant the rhizome in the middle about 3-4" down and water. Easy as pie and took about 10 minutes to build. I have Cascade and Tettnang

I still can't figure this out. Why won't the vine attach to the wooden poles as it grows? I visualize it as the twine coming directly down from the top of a pole, so the vine would attach itself to the pole as well as the vine.

Could someone take a picture please? I'd *really* appreciate it. Thanks!

I still can't figure this out. Why won't the vine attach to the wooden poles as it grows? I visualize it as the twine coming directly down from the top of a pole, so the vine would attach itself to the pole as well as the vine.

Could someone take a picture please? I'd *really* appreciate it. Thanks!

If I were doing this, I'd stake the lines at an angle away from the pole (I'd do two or more per pole, like a maypole).

hah. ok thanks. makes sense. so do you attach a long pole at the top so that the vine grows straight up? if not, when you let out twine the plant will slink over and start growing up the pole again...

i'm sure i'm missing something obvious.

Latest posts

Back