I use my Excel Spreadsheet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work. That spreadsheet is awesome. Looks like a lot of work, thanks for sharing.

I started out by putting together my own spreadsheet. I'd really recommend it to beginners. It gets you familiar with some of the formulas, and really familiar with some of the simple math (like p/p/g). It's like calculus: you learn it by doing it the hard way with algebra first, then you can cheat.

ya i agree you do learn a lot... I've also been working on the beer math website as well it's close to being finished just working on the last of the formulas. I've also noticed some errors in my verison 3.1 and will be uploading version 3.2 in about a week.

Thanks for sharing your spreadsheet. The SWMBO isn't really onboard with spending on beer programs (...yet). I like the simplistic idea of a spreadsheet doing the calcs for me though.

Totally agree on the Calculus analogy from wendel. Man that takes me back :drunk:.

OK...confused here:

Standard Reference Method (SRM ):

Formula:

SRM's = Lbs Grain x Deg Lovibond) / Total Volume in US Gallons

Example:

So if you used 10 pounds of 2 row grain that is 1.9 Lovibond then you would multiply lbs of grain by Lovibond to get your SRM. Then add all the SRM's and divided by total batch volume by total US Gallons. Here is an example below:

(10.00 Lbs Grain x 1.9 Lovibond) = 19.0 SRM's
(0.50 Lbs Grain x 10.0 Lovibond) = 5 SRM's
(19 + 5) / 5 gallons = 4.8 SRM's

Total SRM's = 19 + 5 + 4.8 = 28.9

Wouldn't that be MCU as defined here:
A first iteration at estimating beer color involved simply calculating the Malt Color Units (MCUs) of a recipe.

* MCU = (Weight of grain in lbs) * (Color of grain in degrees lovibond) / (volume in gallons)

For multiple grain additions, you can simply calculate the MCU for each addition and add them together. MCU provides a good estimate of SRM color for light beers, but starts to diverge as beer color exceeds 6-8 SRM, because light absorbance is logarithmic and not linear. For a more accurate estimate that holds for darker beers up to about 50 SRM, we turn to the Morey equation:

* SRM color = 1.4922 * (MCU ** 0.6859)

The Morey equation provides an excellent estimate of beer color throughout the range from 1-50 SRM, and is the one used by most brewers today.
In this case the beer would have an MCU of 28.9 which gives a SRM color of 15. I noticed this when I saw the calculated color of a recipe vary widely from what qBrew, beercalculus, and the brew-builder at BMW were indicating. The 30 your sheet indicates for my recipe would actually be an 15 (which matches other calculators I have used).

Any chance of getting an unprotected copy for tinkering?

yup looked into it and your right... thanks for the info I'll be changing the formula on my site this week sometime.

srm = 1.4922 * (MCU ** 0.6859)

cheers man,
Grimmy

What goes into calculating the potential gravity and potential IBU in cells J39 and J35? Just curious.

Is there anywhere on the sheet that predicts the F.G.?

I am suppose to the type the numbers I actually get into cells J29 and J32, right?

My SRM says 139. I am making a stout but that seems a little high and the little color thing doesn't change...no biggie just letting you know.

Also, no Wyeast 1388 just Wyeast 1338 twice, again just letting you know.

Otherwise this is great! Just want to make sure I am accurately using and reading everything properly!

Back