Helen, GA. Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tally350z

Reaction score
I know its kind of early for it but, whatever. I will be booking my cabin for Oktoberfest within the next week, and wanted to see if there was anyone else going?

I went last year. Bring lots of money and plan on staying in one place. We went to Konig's and it got so crowded we were afraid to leave. We spent about $500 between 4 of us between food and beer there all day. Needless to say, it was a great time, but I took a stumble down a hill on the walk back to the hotel and left pretty bruised up. :drunk:

Would do again. :tank:

Ouch, that sucks. I have only been there once and it was in the off season so not much happening. I remember a small bar in a back alley, but can't remember the name. Do you have some suggestions of must go to places?

Konig's Biergarten is where the party is at if you're looking for the most authentic environment. Everywhere has something going on but when we eventually left Konig's to walk around, we wished we had stayed.

I live in Clarkesville and my wife works in Helen. I'll be there once or twice for Oktoberfest. The wife isn't so fond of going to Helen on her days off. Anyway, nice to meet y'all.

Cheers

Matt

Have a place in Blairsville... been to Helen many times and really enjoy it EXCEPT for Octoberfest. Way too crowded!!!!!! I'd suggest going any time other than Octoberfest. It's a really nice town. Just hard to enjoy with all of the yahoos.

My group will be in Helen Oct 16-19. We are taking two kegs of our own brew with us, and we will be right down the road from the fest hall. Ein Prosit!

I recommend going to the official festhall. Traditional music, more room, commemorative mugs, and less drunk college kids. The Green Troll (I think is the name) under the bridge is pretty cool too.

If anyone will be up there during that weekend and you want to try some of our stuff, email me at [email protected]

Is that the hall that is down right next to the river? We have been there in the non-oktoberfest season and it was a delight. I'll have to hit you up than, as I will be bringing a bunch of beer with me.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410536898.692297.jpg yep, it's just north of the Helendorf Inn. It was the best part of Oktoberfest.

Played golf in Helen 2 weeks ago. Stopped in at the Troll Inn and had lunch. We both had a chicken salad sandwich with chips. She had water and I had a draft beer. The lunch was 30 bucks.

I used to really enjoy that little town, but I just can't get on board with the extreme expense of it anymore. We've been going there for 20 years. The last 4-5 years have really been eye opening. I just can't justify spending so much money in a small town in the mountains. You even have to pay to park in the city these days.

Sorry Helen. I will definitely miss you. I just can't come to a city that has no respect for the patrons who come to visit. My memories are fond, but I just can't afford you any more.

Back