Help with raw wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanH

Reaction score
6 lbs Pale 2 Row
6 lbs Raw Wheat
1 lb Munich
1oz Cascade @ 60
1oz Cascade @ 10

I would like any advice on using the raw wheat. I usually batch sparge in a 14g cooler (if that helps?)

Thanks

Wheat has no hull so it doesn't help with a filter bed like barley would so you will need something to help with that. Rice hulls are the usual way to do this as they are cheap, readily available, and add no flavor. The other way to avoid the problems with lautering and sparging is to do your wheat beers as a BIAB since the fine mesh bag becomes the filter medium and you can squeeze the bag to force the wort out.

It's the unmalted part that worries me though. I guess I need to do a cereal mash?? I've never done that.

It's the unmalted part that worries me though. I guess I need to do a cereal mash?? I've never done that.

The gelatinization temperature of wheat is below mash temp so you shouldn't need a cereal mash. I didn't and it converted fine. You have plenty of 2 row to do the job too. No worries.:mug:

I think you have enough 2 row to convert that. If not, grab some 6 row and that should do it.

This.

Also, I usually mill raw wheat 3 times. It's not as "crispy" for lack of a better word as malted grain, so it wants to squish when it goes through the mill, not crack.

Thanks guys! I new I'd get answers.

Latest posts

Back