Modifying edworts apfelwein recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
I recently received my 15 gallon fermenter and am planning on making myself a large batch of edworts apfelwein. I already have one 5 gallon batch brewing following the instructions in his posting.

I have also read some posts where people have added cinamon or used brown sugar instead of dextrose.

I am thinking that I would like to make a recipe utilizing both of these. The total amount of dextrose needed for a 15 gallon batch would be 6# so I was thinking of maybe using 4# dextrose and 2# brown sugar.

As far as adding the cinamon I was thinking of adding 2 whole cinamon sticks to the 15 gallon batch.

Anyone tried this and have reccomendations for a large batch like this?

I made a batch using brown sugar, cinnamon and cloves. I thought the brown sugar made for a very tart, almost sour drink. It has mellowed. I used 2 cinnamon sticks steeped in 150 F apple juice in a 3 gallon batch. It was totally overshadowed by the cloves I used (5 is too many). Overall, I think the spice has died down quite a bit, and the tartness has mellowed. It will be 8 months old soon, and is drinkable. Not my favorite though.

I have done it with one stick in a 5 gallon batch. It's super cinnamony, like really really cinnamony. you are better off steeping cinnamon than keeping it in the primary.

This is a wine, it's not particularly good with cinnamon or cloves. It just doesn't have enough body to support these spicy flavors.

If you want to make a spiced cider, it will go good with cinnamon and cloves. Steep a half pound of crystal 10L in a couple quarts of water for 30 mins and then bring 1-2lbs of light DME to boil depending on whether you want a subtle or distinct malty finish. This will bring body to the apple juice and yeast mixture. It will no doubt support some spicy flavors well. Use nottingham yeast, not wine yeast.

The only thing I have modified with good results is adding 5 lbs of blueberries, and using wyeast 3068 instead of montrachet.

If you use wine yeast don't drink it for 6 months, 1 year is better.

With beer yeast, don't drink until 3 months old but 6 months is better.

Back