Whats too long in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pingi

Reaction score
How long is too long to wait before bottling? I have a Honey Blonde that has been in a secondary glass carboy for 32 days now, and there's still as much, if not more, yeasties floating up and down throughout. While the beer is extremely clear, I'm worried because of the junk floating. What should i do? Dump it? Bottle it? I dont want to drink beer with chunks in it.

Not sure what junk you have floating in it. A picture might be useful here.

COLD CRASH IT!

My Braggot was doing the same thing...very clear...just has chunks of yeast that are dancing up and down in it.

2 days in the fridgerator....all is good.

Don't dump it! At this point it could be very dangerous and highly toxic. Send it to me for proper disposal.

Cant get a picture to post, despite all my best efforts. They are white and about the size of preztel salt. I thought if I just let it sit, it would settle out. No luck there.

Refridgerate after bottling BigK?

If you have room, you'd be better off refrigerating the whole carboy. If not, put it in a cooler with some ice for a few days, then rack to the bottling bucket.

I think it would be ideal to chill the whole carboy, but seeing as how that might not be possible, I think you could refridgerate after bottling. There will be sediments, but there usually is anyway.

Here is a really crappy photo , but is it pretty much what you're dealing with?

Bits.jpg

If that's it, be very careful when you rack and don't suck them little buggers up, maybe use a screen on your racking cane. Also...Cold crashing the entire carboy (Ice bath is a great idea!) will settle them. No harm done if you bottle a few...they'll settle out as it ages, and get pretty solid in the bottle.

no worries here, i get that all the time in my beers, i cant always bottle when i want to so it sits in the carboy longer than usual. but ive never had any of them not turn out.

Any idea what that stuff is? I have something similar in my cider. The pieces look like little orange pulp pieces.

Back