help steer me in the right direction...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mprice

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Ive spent the last 15-20 or so years drinking mostly Budweiser or Miller beer and recently Ive decided to try making some homebrew. After reading this forum for a week or two I am finding that I have not a clue what "good beer" really is. So the dilemma is that Im trying to decide what to brew next. Ive got some Brewers Best american light in the fermenter right now (Sounded like the closeest thing to what I am used to drinking so I went with it for my first brew).
I want to try out something a little different and have it be something that I like, and since I never drink much else, most of the talk on the forum about different beers and different flavors is sort of like a foreign language to me right now. I dont know any other home brewer friends around my area, so I was thinking about picking up a few different types of beer at the store and try them out to see what I like and what I dont, and hopefully get a feel for something to try for my 2nd brew and beyond. So I am looking for some help for what to try to help me get my taste buds calibrated so I at least can make a decision for what my preferences are. So maybe you fine folks here can give me a few recommendations to get me going down the right path.

Start with anything from Goose Island, I like the 312 its a wheat that's tasty. The only problem is you cant re-use the bottles :lol: Then try honkers ale its a bit more hop "aggressive". I recently picked up a Sam Adams sampler containing 2 each of 6 different beers, its on sale at Jewel this week. This helped me to pick my next brew; a Scotch ale (lot hops lots of flavor).

with any luck you'll find a liquor store that lets you mix a 6 pack. Also...remember that just because you don't like a brand...doesn't mean that you don't like that style.
I would shoot for a cream ale next. NOT A BREWERS BEST. I love brewers best kits..and I've made a lot of them...but that particular one sucks eggs.

There is a big world of beer out there for you, welcome to the journey....and remember (REVVY...Are you listening?) Keep an open mind and an open heart but never an open fermentor.

Ah, welcome aboard! You'll find that there are many many different styles of beer and even more tastes and flavors. You'll just have to make sure you do plenty of 'studying.'

If you are used to BMC, I would definitely branch out and start with some basic English pale ales/bitters. Boddingtons would be a great one to start with, as well as Old Speckled Hen for a more 'full', flavorful, and non-offensive beer.

There are many great German beers out there that you would like; Warsteiner Premium Verum is easy to get, and many places have a lot more imports since it is Oktoberfest over there. Another style you may want to try is German Wheat beers, or Hefeweizens. They are light bodied, crisp, and slightly fruity from the yeast esters. Very refreshing.

If you are feeling a bit more adventurous, try one of the many American Pale Ales (APA's). America is full of it's own styles, but many of them can be defined on a basic level as taking a regular beer, and adding a lot of hops to it. The 'classic' APA is undoubtedly Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Full bodied, nice caramel malt base, and a judicious amount of citrusy-grapefruit hoppiness to balance everything out. Also, Samuel Adams makes some great beers as well, try out the Boston Lager (slightly hoppy) or pale ale (this one will be easy to drink).

That is only the first step! If you are feeling real adventurous, head out and move into some of the darker beers. Brown ales would be a good place to start. Malty with a slight toasted flavor. Stouts and Porters are hard to get used to at first, but quickly become a love obsession for many. These are dominated by roasted grains which impart a coffee/dark chocolate flavor. Great examples of these beers are Newcastle (easy to transition into), Guinness, beamish.

Anyway, I'll end this before it gets too much longer. There is a whole world of beer out there! Don't be afraid to head into you local beer shop and pick out a random 6'er to try! Do your research, try as many different beers as possible (try and get at least 2), and find out what you like.

Oh, and pour your beer in a glass, too! It makes all the difference in the world!

Good luck!

After reading this forum for a week or two I am finding that I have not a clue what "good beer" really is.

Good beer is beer you like. I like Bear Republic Hop Rod, but I also like Miller High Life (see avatar), ergo, both are good beers. :p

What you like wins, and what other people think you should like does not.

I'm not fond of hoppy beers. I'm very fond of dark beers. Several folks I know think my favorite commercial beer (Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout) is vile, because they want something else in a beer, or even in a stout. It's black, opaque, for years came in a clear bottle that you would not know was clear until after you poured, even in the neck. Brown bottles lately. It's a thick stout - has a lot of body - one detractor said motor oil...

But other folks I've introduced it to agree with my opinion that it's the best beer they've ever had.

The above does not mean that one group is right and the other is wrong - it means that one group has an opinion that agrees with mine, and the other has an opinion that does not. Both are equally valid, but I don't like it much when the ones I disagree with supply the beer.

What you like wins, and what other people think you should like does not.
I would hate to see this great and honest question get de-railed here. I agree that you should drink what you like, but expanding your palate is the most noble adventure!
Let us review:
1. You're a BMC guy
2. You want to expand your options.

Try a Kolsch and a wheat beer. (I HATE Wheat beer, but lots of people love them) Also a Pale Ale will give you a toe into flavor country.

+1 on the Pale Ale...

I admit it; I still drink quite a few bud lights, but I really love APAs and IPAs. head to the grocery store and pick up a 6er of some pales and find out what you like. you'll be a hop head in no time!

Drink what you like, but if you want to experience more, also drink some stuff that you are not sure if you'll like or not.

Dark beer does not necessarily = bitter or strong beer. Generally it will have a bit more roasted or burnt flavor, but could very well be light and not very bitter at all. Looks can be decieving.

I would also recommend a Belgian Wit, or American version. Pretty light and still have plenty of unusual flavors. Also, many have suggested Wheat beers, and I agree they can be very good.

I used to drink Bass and thought it was a pretty bitter (hoppy) beer, but after a while I grew used to it and now can enjoy that kind of beer more because I can taste it better. There is a vast spectrum of flavors, colors, etc. Go for it!

One other option is to purchase an IPA and finish a 6er. By that time you should be somewhat accosted (tastebuds) and can more easily enjoy an American Pale Ale, which has a bit less hops. It's like a trial by fire!

I also wouldn't write off a style of beer after not liking it one time. when i first got into drinking craft beers brown ales were what turned me. PA and IPA's were ok...not what i'd reach for if i had a choice. but now...its a different ball game all together. some beer styles i still dont care for all that much, like wheat's. dont know what it is, i'll have one now and then, and i've even brewed a batch or two, and i'll drink them.

Even within a style, you may run into a beer you dont like. i'd say, get a few bottles of different PA, IPA or Stouts and so on.

If you're looking to start some where I'd recommend a brown ale not hoppy or bitter. Usually pretty mild and easy drinking. Or give a Sam Adams a try.

I found a sampler 12 pack from Stevens Point Brewery at the local store. It included a lager, pale ale, amber ale, and 2 varieties of wheat beer. I prefered the amber ale and pale ale in that order over the wheats. The lager was good too. I definatley notice the hop flavor and aroma from the pale ale. I think they were all decent. I'll probably try to brew an amber ale next and then mayabe an APA. I may shop around to find another sampler pack to try some others in the meantime. I just racked my first batch of beer into secondary last night to free up my fermentor so I can get started on batch #2.

Get out! Get out while you still can!!
Pros- Beer keeps getting better.
Cons- Wife not happy with beer farts, wallet lighter, time fleeting, everything needs to be fermented!!

Did I mention the wallet is much lighter!

I would go with the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It is likely on your supermarket shelf. Grab a six-pack of bottles and drink them all whether you like the first one or not. Not all at once, but one or two a night until they are gone. You may need to acquire the taste for good beer and this will give you a chance. Or, you may like it right off the bat and you'll get to enjoy them all.

I pick this beer because, while light, crisp and refreshing, it has all the flavor of a first class pale ale, because that's what it is. You may as well start with something that won't shock your system, but that also will give you an honest entry into the wonderful world of craft beers. SNPA will always be one of my favorites and I almost always have some in the fridge.

Oh, and you don't have to give up the budweiser if you don't want to. You can still drink one of those on occasion. Or just start making fun of it. Your choice.

Enjoy!:mug:

Latest posts

Back