No wining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
I've been talking about how cold it's been this year. Freezing weather in June and almost as cold in July. Looks like I'll have fewer hops than last year, but the real shocker is the blackberries. August 13th and this is what a typical Himalayan berry cluster looks like.

img_4955.jpg

Two years ago, I was picking a gallon every morning and had a batch of cider going by now. I was planning on a batch of blackberry wine, but it doesn't look like it will happen. The native Oregon Evergreen blackberries haven't even set fruit this year.

Mine gripe is the opposite. Too HOT! But it seems we are reverting to a fall like clime lately. mY boy will sure miss those blackberries tho'. He chews them like they are candy.

And BTW, let them nails get any longer and you might as well paint them. Girly boy.;)

Some of the blackberries up here in WA are starting to ripen, but they definately seem slow this year.

The blackberries around here are finally starting to ripen. I've picked 12 lbs already, need way more for a batch of blackberry wine.

I've been talking about how cold it's been this year. Freezing weather in June and almost as cold in July. Looks like I'll have fewer hops than last year, but the real shocker is the blackberries. August 13th and this is what a typical Himalayan berry cluster looks like.

img_4955.jpg

Two years ago, I was picking a gallon every morning and had a batch of cider going by now. I was planning on a batch of blackberry wine, but it doesn't look like it will happen. The native Oregon Evergreen blackberries haven't even set fruit this year.

David I just ate a bunch of Himilayan blackberries yesterday, must be warmer here in Salem.

my major gripe about growing in boston is that it is to wet. At first it was great, the squash and pumpkins loved it and I had more zucchini than I knew what to do with, now they are starting to rot on the vine because of all the extra moisture. Additionally I would normally be swimming in tomato sauce by this point in the year, so far I have only had 3 good ones off the vines, the rest keep getting a black mold on the bottom.

Salem is Zone 5, I'm Zone 1. Closer to the coast and higher. To quote Western Gardening: Can freeze any day of the year.

my major gripe about growing in boston is that it is to wet. At first it was great, the squash and pumpkins loved it and I had more zucchini than I knew what to do with, now they are starting to rot on the vine because of all the extra moisture. Additionally I would normally be swimming in tomato sauce by this point in the year, so far I have only had 3 good ones off the vines, the rest keep getting a black mold on the bottom.

The black spots on he bottom is called "bloom end rot". I forget what you use for it. The preventative solution is to till lye into the soil. You can buy a spray on treatment that will put an end to it, just can't think of the name right now.

Schlante,
Phillip

Hey David-sorry to hear that your have had such an off year for harvesting the Oregon deliacies. The hops around Portland have been pretty good (from my perspective -the few neighbors and myself who grow hops). The Blackberries were a bit late-but they are done here. I guess the valley is the agricultural mecca for a reason- the hills are unpredictable. There is always next year!

Tim

Back