What to Smoke?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukus

Reaction score
The in-laws bought me a smoker for Christmas and since then I've smoked a bunch of Salmon and some whole chickens. Now I am looking for something else to smoke for Mermorial day weekend and thought I would ask you guys for some input. Any Ideas? Brisket, Pork, Ribs....

I have never smoked a Boston Butt. Do you put a rub on it? and how long do you smoke it, 1 1/2hr. per pound or so? Sorry for all the questions

Yep, you rub your butt. I use Bad Byron's Butt Rub, but you can make your own rub. Here's a good recipe.

• 1/4 cup paprika
  • 2 tablespoons black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
If you want more heat, add more cayenne. You could also add about 1/4 of Turbinado sugar too.

Smoke the butt at 225 to 250 till the internal temp reaches 195, then pull, wrap in foil, let rest for 15 minutes, then pull.

RIBS!!!!! Thats what I'm doing, I'm a rib junkey though. Pork butt is good too, and like Ed said you can make your own or buy a store bought rub but i find most are too salty so I add extra paprika, brown sugar, onion powder, celery seed and some pepper. Also I like to take plain yellow mustard (not the spicy kind) and rub it all over the pork butt first, then cover in rub. You will not taste the mustard when its done but it helps form a nice tasty crust.

The Pork Butt sounds good to me. Off to the store to see if I can find it. Now the question is what to serve with it?

Thanks for the help.

The Pork Butt sounds good to me. Off to the store to see if I can find it. Now the question is what to serve with it?

Some good tater salad or coleslaw. Here's my recipe for NC Style BBQ sauce. It's the bomb!

Ed's Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

Directions

Take a 1/2 liter (16.7 oz) bottle of water. Pour the water in a glass, drink the water.

Using a funnel, add the following ingredients to the bottle.

4 tablespoons sea salt
2 tablespoon turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
1 teaspoon ground Chipotle Pepper
1 teaspoon ground Cayenne Pepper

Top off with Heinz apple cider vinegar (use the real stuff, not flavored).

Put cap back on and shake till sugar and salt dissolve.

Let stand as long as possible, at least 1/2 a day, but the longer the better.

Poke a hole in the cap with a clean nail and you have a squirt bottle.

+1 on the coleslaw.
my wife and my brother and sister in law thought that i was a freak
when i put it on the bun with my pork, but then they got the nerve to try
it and realized that it makes for one grubbin sandwich

Thanks for the recipes. We'll see how it goes, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Some good tater salad or coleslaw. Here's my recipe for NC Style BBQ sauce. It's the bomb!

Ed's Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

Directions

Take a 1/2 liter (16.7 oz) bottle of water. Pour the water in a glass, drink the water.

Using a funnel, add the following ingredients to the bottle.

4 tablespoons sea salt
2 tablespoon turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
1 teaspoon ground Chipotle Pepper
1 teaspoon ground Cayenne Pepper

Top off with Heinz apple cider vinegar (use the real stuff, not flavored).

Put cap back on and shake till sugar and salt dissolve.

Let stand as long as possible, at least 1/2 a day, but the longer the better.

Poke a hole in the cap with a clean nail and you have a squirt bottle.

Well, the pulled pork was a hit. It was great. I couldn't find Byron’s Butt rub, so I made the rub recipe Ed gave me. I also smoked some pork ribs which were also rubbed down with Ed's rub recipe. I will defiantly be doing this again, everyone loved it.

Thanks for the help.

Back