Coffee & Vanilla Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broadhurst

Reaction score
Thinking of brewing this at the weekend but am a little concerned I might have too much roasted and chocolate malts (fairly new brewer). I am using Beersmith and was struggling to get it to show the beer dark enough for the style so am also afraid to reduce them. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

5.51lb Maris Otter
0.44lb Crystal
0.42lb Chocolte malt
0.22lb Roasted barley
0.22lb Torrified wheat
0.40lb Lactose (15 min boil)
1.13oz East Kent Goldings (60 min boil)
Nottingham yeast
0.19lb Coffee beans ground (Secondary)
2tsp Vanilla extract (Secondary)

Recipe Type: All Grain
Batch Size (Gallons): 3.7
Expected OG: 1.050
Expected IBU: 27.5
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 60
Primary Fermentation: 14 days at 20C
Secondary Fermentation: 14 days at 20C

One thing you could try is cold brewing your coffee and adding it to the secondary.
I'm kinda curious if the alcohol in pure vanilla extract would affect the abv noticeably?

for the Vanilla taste i would go with the bean not the extract. you can buy them very cheap online 5-10 bucks an the taste is much better an smooth IMO. i did a vanilla bean porter just a few months ago and im drinking it now.. i used 3 beans through out my process and next time i will only use 2. alot of my friends love it but to me the vanilla is a lil to powerful.

Back