Added Gelatin to fairly clear cider now CLOUDY!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishhy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I made my first Cider for the season and it was pretty clear after cold crash and transfer to secondary.
I wanted to get it really clear so I decided to add gelatin like I've done many times before to clear my beers.

Something strange happened when I introduced the hot gelatin water that hasn't happened before when I've added it to beer....
The whole thing went cloudy!
So it's now cloudier than it was before the gelatin.
1 day later and it appears some of it has started to settle at the bottom (more cloudy still) but the whole thing is still really cloudy.

Any hope to getting this thing clear again within a weeks time?
Should I use another clarifying agent like the 2 step ones?
Thanks!

If you can't rush making beer then you can think of that doubly for cider. The best examples I've had and made all have had one thing in common - lots of time.

I would give the gelatin a few days. I'd used it in beers before and it's taken upwards of five days depending on the batch.

I just had this happen to me. It's been a couple of days, but it looks cloudier than when the fermentation was active.

I can see that some stuff is falling out, but it hasn't cleared up much since I added.

I found that mine went super cloudy, almost white, when I added gelatin. Within a few hours it began to floculate into chunks and over the next week they settled out to leave behind the clearest cider I could have imagined.

I'm sure the look on my face when I dumped in the gelatin was priceless as the cider immediately turned opaque as milk where it came in contact with the gelatin and when that opaqueness spread throughout the carboy over 10 seconds or so. What ever causes this must be something that is in solution that gets pulled out by the gelatin.

Mine is still pretty cloudy, but there are definitely chunks starting to fall out now, so that's a good sign.

I have seen no change in clarity over the past 2 1/2 weeks.

After doing some homework, I think I added too much gelatin, and ended up with gelatin haze so I obtained some bentonite. I mixed up a half-strength batch (2 tsp to 1-1/2 cups warm pre-boiled water), waited a few hours to rehydrate, racked to another carboy, and stirred it in with my racking cane.

The results were immediate. It was still a little cloudy when I left it, but my homework tells me more stirring and possibly another dose of bentonite should clear it up. I think Kieselsol would also have worked, possibly better, but couldn't find a cheap source of it in small quantities.

before:

before, closeup:

immediately after stirring in bentonite (racked before adding):

And here it is just after racking again and stirring in another (full size) dose of bentonite.

The chunks (lighter colored stuff in the image) this time were really big. I took some more pictures, but my crappy phone pictures didn't turn out very well. I can almost tell there is something behind the carboy with a bright light illuminating the background.

I bottled this up last night. If this happens, there is hope!

After I dumped the gelatin in and it turned opaque as milk, I had basically no hope that The haze would clear up at all. Now you can actually see through the bottle!

Back