Additives to extract hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustimus

Reaction score
I just received an hefe extract kit from thebeveragepeople.com. It came with a wyeast 3068. The only componets in the recipe were a DME and an aromatic and bittering hops package. Usually the kits come with some steeping grains for additional flavor, this kit contains none. I was wondering if maybe I ordered some flaked wheat or something to boost the flavor a bit. Or does the hefe yeast create most of the flavors.?

Hefe yeast will create the vast majority of your flavor in this one. 3068 is a traditional style yeast with the banana-clove flavors you would expect

From Wyeast's site
http://www.wyeastlab.com/beprlist.htm

The only reason you might want to add a specialty grain is if you are trying to modify the recipe to add a specific additional flavor or a darker color, which is probably not your goal right now.

To me a traditional hefe is perfect for extract brewing. Does not require any steeping of specialty malts, minimal hops, don't have to worry about appearance and the yeast will help cover minor blemishes. This leaves more room to focus on basic brewing and fermentation practices.

yeah, you can make a great hefe with just the dme and hops.

however, i added 1/4 oz of saaz at the last 15 minutes of my boil and steeped like 4 oz of munich malt once and it turned out great!

you can experiment...but i would say it doesn't need much. don't go overboard with it! ;)

DeathBrewer said:

however, i added 1/4 oz of saaz at the last 15 minutes of my boil and steeped like 4 oz of munich malt once and it turned out great!

you can experiment...but i would say it doesn't need much. don't go overboard with it! ;)

What is saaz???

Yes I plan to experiment after this, my second attempt of a hefe(first exploded and dumped).

While we're on the subject of exploding beers. I have a normal seven gallon plastic primary. I do not want a repeat of my first hefe experiment, so I plan to make a blow off system. With the 3068 and a 70 degree fermentation, what size tubing will not cause a similar situation as before(beer on ceiling,clothes in closet)?

DeathBrewer said:

I used malted wheat once and it also turned out well.

dustimus said:
While we're on the subject of exploding beers. I have a normal seven gallon plastic primary. I do not want a repeat of my first hefe experiment, so I plan to make a blow off system. With the 3068 and a 70 degree fermentation, what size tubing will not cause a similar situation as before(beer on ceiling,clothes in closet)?

I just use a short leingth of the same tubing I use for racking. I've found this works well and I can just squeese it through the existing hole where the airlock goes.

There's something incredibly satisfying about a massive, controlled blowoff, you'll love it!

Cheers :mug:

I've used the recipe in this post https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=70991
pretty much exactly as typed, and it comes out VERY nice. Only additions are the hop varieties and the aromatic malt and matodextrin.
Compares very closely to Franzi hefe-weisse, color, head, body are spot on. I didn't get the hops exactly right yet but I have been using the "eyeball" method for weighing them, only recently got a nice scale (gift from the best SWMBO).

Back