Help with Citra

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl110

Reaction score
I finally got my hands on some citra, and was wondering what you guys think the most effective way to use it would be. I really want the Citra to shine. I have three ounces to play with. I was thinking of something like this:

60% 2row
20% Munich
10% Wheat
5% C40
5% Toasted

.5oz Centennial @ 60
1oz Citra @ 15
1oz Citra @ 5
1oz Citra DH

OG 1.050/IBU 42/SRM 8

What do you think? Cheers :mug:

You can choose to do whatever you want, but I wouldn't muddle it with toasted malt or use the Citra beyond 10 minutes if you want it to shine. A simple 60/5/0/DH schedule will work very well. I would also strictly use pellets for these additions instead of leaf.

I find it's best when used as a dry hop and very late addition.

Just dry-hopped a light ale that I had that didn't taste quite right with .5oz of citra and now it's like a delicious summer grapefruit beer. Awesome!

I just made a citra pale ale that I hoped with 1oz cascade 60 min, .5 oz citra 10 min, .5 oz citra 5 min, 1 oz citra 0 min, 1.5 oz citra dry. It turned olut great.

<-- Check out my all Citra APA recipe in my Recipes section. I've made 6 batches of this now and everyone considers it my best beer.

everyone considers it my best beer.

Yeah, Citra has that effect. I've experienced similar praise from a Citra + Amarillo IPA w/Wyeast 1056 along with a 153 F mash of 80-ish% American 2-row base malt + XL DME, 12% Red Wheat, and 4% Crystal 40 to bring to approx. 7% abv.

A very simple beer yet everyone loved that Citra aroma. And Amarillo plays very well with Citra.

Ya I have two pounds of both and use them together all the time! I agree with the rest of the folks here, use the Citra late if you want nose to be potent.

Cool. Seems that everyone pretty much agrees. I'm going to drop the toasted and add that 5% to the two row, move the citra to 10/0/DH schedule, and up the centennial to an ounce to make up the IBU. Gives me 1.050/45IBU/7SRM.

On another note I still have over half a pound of amarillo left. Now I kinda want to make an Amarillo/Citra IPA. Have to find some more to play with!

on my last bottle of citra pale and its awesome. Recipe (AG):

5Gal batch, asssuming 70% efficiency

12lb Rahr 2row
8oz white wheat
8oz carapils
12oz crystal 15

.5oz magnum (60mins)
1oz ctira (15mins)
1oz citra (5 mins)
1oz ctira (DH 7 days)
whirlflock
US-05

Notes: great beer, well carbed @ 2.3ppm easy drinking, low in bitter with a solid balance between malt and hops. Citra is bright from the 1st sip and leaves a lasting after taste of grapefruit

Just made up a Citra Blonde ale last weekend. Tasted a sample last night and is great but needs to drop 2 more points. Made up and extra 2 gallons and fermented it with a pound of raspberries.

TopherM said:
<-- Check out my all Citra APA recipe in my Recipes section. I've made 6 batches of this now and everyone considers it my best beer.

How do I find your citra apa recipe? I'm making one tomorrow and really want to see yours! Thanks!

I did a beer with all Centennial in the Kettle and 2 oz of Citra dry hop. It was pretty great. I'd say mostly 2-row, maybe 1 lb of Munich and a little carapils perhaps. Use your Citra at flameout (1oz) and dry hop (2oz). Centennial otherwise. Believe me it will shine if you do that.

I used 1 oz of Galena for 60 minutes, 1 oz citra at 10 minutes, and 1 oz of citra at 5 minutes. Planning to dry hop with 2 oz of citra. The OG sample tasted great! Thanks for the info!

[...]A very simple beer yet everyone loved that Citra aroma. And Amarillo plays very well with Citra.

Totally +1 on that. I discovered that for myself last year and try to always have an Amarillo/Citra blonde on tap. It's everyone's favorite here, so I have to brew it every fifth or sixth batch to keep up...

Cheers!

I find it's best when used as a dry hop and very late addition.

Just dry-hopped a light ale that I had that didn't taste quite right with .5oz of citra and now it's like a delicious summer grapefruit beer. Awesome!

Had many people over for a BBQ yesterday - this was the favourite BY FAR. Turned out really good. A half-ounce as a dry-hop is the perfect amount for a 5 gallon keg.

Latest posts

Back