The most out of your smack Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
A few days ago I brewed a Wheat, a Barvarian Wheat grain bill and pitched American 1056 call me crazy.

After I poured in my smack pack into the wort and put the beer up to ferment, I made half a quart of starter wort at 1.035 boiled and cooled.

I poured the cool wort into the smack pack shook it around a bit and poured this into my flask. I now have a nice layer of yeast to make a starter for another batch.

If there are still good viable cells in the smack pack why throw them away? This does take a little more time I guess and if your sanitation is not the best I guess you run the risk of contamination. Also in a few days I will have a nice cake on this wheat beer, I guess I just wanted to see if I could do it.

I guess it makes sense that there are enough cells clinging to the walls of the packet to make a viable starter. It would just take longer to grow up to 200 billion cells (or whatever your target is).

So now what do you plan to do with your second starter?

A few days ago I brewed a Wheat, a Barvarian Wheat grain bill and pitched American 1056 call me crazy.

After I poured in my smack pack into the wort and put the beer up to ferment, I made half a quart of starter wort at 1.035 boiled and cooled.

I poured the cool wort into the smack pack shook it around a bit and poured this into my flask. I now have a nice layer of yeast to make a starter for another batch.

If there are still good viable cells in the smack pack why throw them away? This does take a little more time I guess and if your sanitation is not the best I guess you run the risk of contamination. Also in a few days I will have a nice cake on this wheat beer, I guess I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Haha, I do the same exact thing dude! I also get my inoculation loops and inoculate my blank yeast slants to add to my library. :rockin:

Why not just wash the yeast after fermentation. You can get about 40 free batches of yeast and if you really want to an Unlimited amount

Do a yeast washing search. It's easy.

Back