Spiced winter ale extract kit from NB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHhomebrewer

Reaction score
Has anyone here brewed the spiced winter ale from northern brewer? What was the ABV and FG?

I currently have it in primary. It's been there a week. I'm probably going to give it 2 weeks in primary,and then leave it in secondary until I have enough bottles.

If you need this basic information, Northern Brewer has all their instructions/guidelines for each style available online.

I currently have it in primary. It's been there a week. I'm probably going to give it 2 weeks in primary,and then leave it in secondary until I have enough bottles.

If you need this basic information, Northern Brewer has all their instructions/guidelines for each style available online.

True- if you go look at the kit, click on the "Additional Information" tab and it's under "kit inventory sheet"

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/SpicedWinterAle.pdf

hey NH,

i just finished this beer up and is bottling now. to be honest, this kit comes with scottish ale yeast. save it for something else. it's not a good yeast strain for this style of beer NB put out. use the american ale yeast by wyeast. after brewing this once with the scottish, the beer smelled awful (skunky-like) and the 10 minute boil additions of my spice profile were nearly nonexistent. i had to throw that 5 gal batch out and start over. it was sad since i put all that time into prep and boil time. as stated, the american ale was waaaaaaay better (as one of the NB guys said over the phone). his recommendation was solid. i reordered the kit and used the american. and if i could go back, i would have not added my spices in the boil (even though it smells awesome), but in the secondary and let it sit for 4-5 wks. i hope yours has turned out well.

cheers

Back