First AG brew! Recipe Feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vast_reaction

Reaction score
Helllllooooo there. I'm planning my first AG batch, just a wee 3 gallon one to get my feet wet. But to make up for the batch size, I'm leaping into a
full-blown, big-@ss barleywine. In fact, I think I just named it. Here's the recipe I put together on BeerSmith:

Grains & Sugar
6.5# Maris Otter
1.5# Crystal 30L
1.5# Wheat Malt
1# Munich Malt
1# Demerara Sugar
.75# Cara-Pils

Hops
1.25oz Simcoe @ 60min
.5oz Simcoe @ 30min
1oz Amarillo - Secondary 14 days
.25oz Simcoe - Secondary 7 days

Yeast & Misc
1 Whirlfloc tablet @ 15 min boil
2 packs US-05 for Primary
1 pack Red Star Champagne in Secondary

O.G. is 1.120, and estimated FG is 1.030, with 80 IBU. I kept it all within the style guidelines for an American Barleywine. I plan to mash the grains at
150*F for 45 minutes. The temperature there is just a blind guess. "The higher the mash, the less fermentable sugars" is all I really know here. I think 145-149 is considered a "low" mash temp, so does 150 sound appropriate? Any other feedback or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Matt

Looks pretty good all in all. However I'd drop the wheat and the crystal to .75lb each. And reduce the carapils to .5 lb or less. You'll have plenty of body even without it. You can make up the difference with more marris otter.

One other thing, don't add the champagne yeast untill you've tasted it and performed a hydrometer test. It may attenuate just fine with s-05. Enjoy

Oh, and a 150 mash temp will be just fine.

Definitely drop the crystal down to at most 3/4#, preferably 8 oz. Do the same with the cara-pils. I'd keep the wheat where it is at, but it really doesn't matter if you drop it down much. It will add some head retention proteins to your brew, if you care about that. I would even mash that a bit higher if you are after more body, say 154. I agree with wv about the champagne yeast; use that as a last resort.

150 will still ferment dry. If you are looking for body you might want to mash at 154 or maybe split between a rest at 150 and 158 either 50/50 or 75/25 depending on how much body you want it to have.

Sorry, work got out of hand, and I never got back to check my own post. Awesome info! I pulled in the reins on my specialty grains (poetry in action here) and I think I'll taste a few homebrews at different mash temps to see where I want this one's body to be like. I have awhile before I start - I plan to age this one for most of next year and bring it to Christmas, so I want it to be about as perfect as I can manage. I appreciate all the feedback and mash temp assistance.

-Matt

Back