NB Three Hearted - gravity way off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kraftwerk

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This recipe calls for 1lb Caramel 40 steeped under 170ºF for 20 minutes and 9.15lbs gold extract. Its expected OG is 1.064.

Beer Alchemy expects 1.073

I got 1.080

Is this possible?

FWIW I took the sample at pitching temp of 78ºF, after it had 4 hours to settle in the fermentor.

:drunk: :confused:

Did you mix up the word really, really (like with a paint mixer attachment on your drill) well before taking that reading? If not go with the OG given on the sheet. The chances are that your got a "wort heavy" portion of the brew for your gravity reading.

If you did a full boil, disregard everything I said above.

Did you mix up the word really, really (like with a paint mixer attachment on your drill) well before taking that reading? If not go with the OG given on the sheet. The chances are that your got a "wort heavy" portion of the brew for your gravity reading.

If you did a full boil, disregard everything I said above.

I did a 3 gal boil, topped off to 5. Shook the carboy vigorously to aerate but didn't mix as you described. I'll take a reading tonight (3 days after brew) to try to make some sense of it.

When doing extracts the biggest cause of OG variance is the final volume. That is of course assuming you fully mixed the wort. The extract has a finite number of sugars and the steeping grains should be pretty much negligible. My guess is the recipe calls for 5.25gallons and you only topped up to 5?

Either way, nothing you can do about it now. And it shouldn't make a different at all.

When doing extracts the biggest cause of OG variance is the final volume. That is of course assuming you fully mixed the wort. The extract has a finite number of sugars and the steeping grains should be pretty much negligible. My guess is the recipe calls for 5.25gallons and you only topped up to 5?

Either way, nothing you can do about it now. And it shouldn't make a different at all.

The recipe calls for 5 gal. I'm not worried about it, after all it's only my second batch. It's got lots of hops so it will probably be tasty either way. The thing that puzzles me is that I had a similar result with my first batch, another NB 5gal extract kit. That recipe called for OG 1.050, beer alchemy said 1.059, and that's what I got from my first reading.

Back