Over pitching dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

effinpansy

Reaction score
I had a stuck fermentation with a liquid yeast so I (after 4days) added two packs of US-05. This is a brown ale OG @ 1.054. The fermentation understandably took off. In a week (@ ~65F) I was down to 1.006 and still churning. So I over reacted and bottled with only 1/3 cup priming sugar. There is not much body, it's super dry and there is a weird flavor. It's not bad but kind of alcoholic. Is this due to over pitching or premature bottling. Maybe not enough dextrine content (by which I mean higher mash temp).

The amount of yeast wouldn't be the problem. Your beer simply dried out...meaning you had a good deal of fermentable sugars in your wort and most of it was fermented not leaving behind enough residual sweetness. It sounds like this was an AG batch, so I'd recommend shooting for a higher temp on this one. Not sure what you mashed at, but I'd suggest somewhere between 152-154. There isn't much you're going to be able to do with this one. You can try blending it with another beer, but I've typically not had much luck with that. I'm the sort of person to just cut my losses and dump a batch if I find it to be horrible. Why put myself through the punishment. If it's still fairly drinkable though, you can work through your inventory over time.

I mashed at 153 until iodine test was showing it done. On a future brew I'll try this two temp mash I read about on Braukaiser.com. As I recall it mashes at 142-146F ish for a while then 158F ish until complete. It's on his Infusion Mashing article I think. An awesome website. And I will be drinking this beer BTW.

from Wyeast:

High pitch rates can lead to:

* Very low ester production
* Very fast fermentations
* Thin or lacking body/mouthfeel
* Autolysis (Yeasty flavors due to lysing of cells)

Latest posts

Back