did I mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6240

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch. It's a Hefe-Weisen. After I brewed it I then put it into primary without straining. Here are a couple questions.

Should I strain it on the way into secondary?

How long should I leave it in secondary and how long in keg before it's ready?

Did I mess this brew up? :(

it is not necessary to strain the beer when going into the primary. I have made many excellent brews without straining. You will not want to strain when moving to secondary. You should be using a racking cane and siphoning the beer into the secondary vessel. The racking can will have a cap on the tip which will sit on top of the yeast cake and not move all the trub to the secondary. You will want to be very careful not to splash the beer and oxygenate it when transfering to secondary

Your A-OK, I've not yet strained a beer into the primary fermenter (i've only made a few batches).

However, I do try to muslin bag everything I boil in wort; i.e. hops, extra ingredients (unless they dissolve in the wort), etc. so there isn't much to strain into the primary when I'm done. I know some hops and other things I've used have snuck through the muslin bags, but not much of it and it can't hurt in the primary. Most, if not all, should sink and you will get rid of it when transferring to the secondary.

I'm going to let it sit in primary for 1 week then how long does this hefe sit in secondary and then how long in keg before it's ready? Thanks for answering my noob questions! :drunk:

jeffm1000 said:
I'm going to let it sit in primary for 1 week then how long does this hefe sit in secondary and then how long in keg before it's ready? Thanks for answering my noob questions! :drunk:

I would let it sit in the secondary for at least one week as well. If you have a hydrometer, you can use that to tell if you are done fermenting. Usually if you have very little to no activity in the airlock then you are ready to keg. I think maybe 1bpm. I would put in keg and set the regulator to carbonate for a week.

i never strain (with three brews under my belt)! strainings for wimps! or maybe people that have better equipment...

Back