200g DME = How Many Cups?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Octang

Reaction score
I need to make a 2 liter starter, so I am going to use 200g of extra light DME for this. However I do not have a scale, so I am unsure how many cups that actually is. Can anyone tell me, or do I need to run to Walmart and grab a kitchen scale quick?

I would go buy a scale. Scales are really helpful for all processes of your brewing from measuring hops to determining the precise amount of priming sugar

+1 for the scale

I have one that measures 1/20 of an ounce with precision. It set me back $30 Canadian Pesos... well, well worth the investment... and the wife can use it for her diet, too.

About 1 cup.

GourmetSleuth - Gram Conversion Calculator

The actual volume (cups) depends on the density of the substance being measured and how well it packs. So weighing is more accurate in general. Get scales for next time!

If you want, you can always check the gravity of your starter with your hydrometer too, then adjust with water (just like topping up a fermentor). Sanitize you hydro well, and you can use the wort you took to measure. (Maybe not the best practice, but if you are careful, it does work. I've done it!)

If you don't have a scale, then do this format for measurement...

2cups water, 1/2cup DME
3cups water, 3/4 cup DME
You can use the 4-to-1 ratio to scale it to whatever size you need.

+1 on the scale, they are worth having for brewing, cooking, and other things. Just make sure it measures in grams and 1/10th of an ounce.

OK you guys won. I ran to Walmart and grabbed a $20 digital scale.

It ended up being in the 1 1/2 -> 2 cup range

Back