Flanders Brown Ale/Oud Bruin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drez77

Reaction score
Getting ready to pitch the bugs but I am curious if I should have a regular airlock on this of if this should be done with the oak peg in the top. I know that the brown is supposed to be less sour than the red and the more oxygen that the bugs have to play with the more sour it will get. Maybe have the oak peg in for a few weeks then go to an airlock??

Looking for some opinions.

thanks

The oak peg doesn't really make that much of a difference---maybe you get a little more "vinegar" character, but past that, I wouldn't worry about it getting too sour. Question is, did you ferment it partially with saccharomyces before adding the bugs? For an Oud Bruin, that's what I'd do, rather than pitching the bugs and the sacch at the same time.

Question is, did you ferment it partially with saccharomyces before adding the bugs? For an Oud Bruin, that's what I'd do, rather than pitching the bugs and the sacch at the same time.

I did yes. Pitched S-05 on Saturday night. I think I will be transferring this over to a 5g carboy on Sunday and then pitching the bugs.

The oak peg doesn't really make that much of a difference---maybe you get a little more "vinegar" character, but past that, I wouldn't worry about it getting too sour. Question is, did you ferment it partially with saccharomyces before adding the bugs? For an Oud Bruin, that's what I'd do, rather than pitching the bugs and the sacch at the same time.

I agree. I would also add that Oud Bruin is not noted for its strong vinegar like Flanders Red, so I would stay away from the oak dowel.

Good enough for me .. airlock it is .. now I just have to remember to chekc on it to make sure it does not dry out...

I am in the midst of fermenting my flanders brown, and I have left it in the primary for 13 days. I was under the impression that I should let primary complete prior to pitch the bugs. I am not thinking I let it ferment out too far, although I have not taken a grav reading yet. My OG was 1.055 with a target FG of 1.1012, so I calculate 80% fermentation at 1.020. What is the lowest gravity I should have to pitch the bugs to promote growth? If I fermented too far, does anyone have a formula for me to use to calculate how much DME to cook up to ramp up the sugars?

Sorry for the bump, but I'm looking for an Oud Bruin recipe and I can't find one searching the site...

Back