Adding "sweetness" to a beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkyaber

Reaction score
I have a chocolate stout that I just added cocoa to and I think it is to bitter (from the cocoa) what is a way to add some sweetness to this beer without it fermenting into more alcohol? lactose? Maltodexrin? I found those in Palmer's book. Oh, I am out of the primary and have been in the secondary for 36 hours.
How am I to procceed?
Thanks

I fear my milk chocolate stout has the same problem, but I already have added lactose. Maybe another pound in the secondary?

Excellent, now where do I get it from? HBS?
How 'bout something like splenda??? It is not sugar right????
Now my train may be back on track.

I have a chocolate stout that I just added cocoa to and I think it is to bitter (from the cocoa) what is a way to add some sweetness to this beer without it fermenting into more alcohol? lactose? Maltodexrin? I found those in Palmer's book. Oh, I am out of the primary and have been in the secondary for 36 hours.
How am I to procceed?
Thanks
The first stout that I made which I was happy with the flavour I used 500grams of Chocolate Malt and 500 grams of Black Malt or Roasted Barley and 1 Kilogram of Crystal malt, then about 3.5 kilograms of Base Malt (e.g. Pilsener Malt or Maris Otter - it doesn't really matter. What you get is a beer with a high OG but also a high FG (around 1.020) due to all the extra crystal and dark malts. So it has great body and nicely balance sweetness to counteract the dark malt bitterness.

Back