Sanatizing soda bottles...is H2O rinse & Star San enough???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duganderson

Reaction score
I'm new to making sodas and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Here's how I have been sanatizing my 12 oz glass bottles. I rinse them with hot tap water soon after use. Then, I add some hot water to the bottle, put my hand over it and shake it for 10 seconds. I pour out the water and let them dry.

Prior to use, I add about 3 oz. of Star San into the bottle, swish it around, pour it out, and stand it upside down for a few minutes before use.

Is this process likely to get them clean and sanitized enough since I'm not using soap or a brush?

Also, do you think its safe to use them within a few minutes of rinsing with Star San while they are still a little damp?

Thanks, Doug

The correct mix for star-san is 1/4 ounce to 1.25 gallons, I believe. As long as your mixing it up correctly, it'll be sanitized just fine. Properly mixed star-san is "no rinse", so it's fine to use them still wet with the sanitizer solution.

I'd be more concerned about glass bottles. I use plastic for soda.

I've brewed beer a long time with Star San. Look at the directions for the concentration. It comes out to about 1 1/2 tablespoons per gallon. 3 ounces is way more than necessary.

There is no need to rinse. It is a phosphoric acid sanitizer - essentially killing all micro-organisms through a very low Ph. You don't need to rinse, because the acid just buffers out when you bottle your beverage.

Use distilled water for your Star San if you plan to store it and reuse it. Tap water will eventually neutralize your Star San solution if it is alkaline.

Glass bottles are fine, and in fact are better than plastic, all else being equal. Plastic can scratch, leaving space for infection. It takes a lot to scratch glass. Mark

To add to my last post, a bottle bomb would be dangerous. Perhaps a plastic bottle bomb would be less dangerous, and that's the reason why people like plastic bottles for soda.

I always use glass for soda, though, and just monitor it carefully and put it in the fridge when it's carbonated enough. Mark

Back