Cover brew pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should not cover the brewpot. The steam that escapes carries away some volatile chemicals, and when that steam goes away it takes with it some compounds that cause some off-flavors. The most common one is DMS (di-methyl sulfide) that tastes like cooked corn or is otherwise "vegetal".

This is usually produced during the boil and cooling (while still steaming), so the lid should be off during those times.

Leave it off. You can keep it on to help get to a boil but after that leave it off. And if you do leave it on to help bring it to a boil baby sit it for boilovers.

You would be hard pressed to get nasties in your beer that will affect you post boil. Ive had leaves, cigarette ashes, and even my hand in my (cooled) wort and still have good beer. Most of your infections/nasties will come from poor sanitary practices and/or seasoned equipment that may have a scratch or somehing like that.
-Me

You should not cover the brewpot. The steam that escapes carries away some volatile chemicals, and when that steam goes away it takes with it some compounds that cause some off-flavors. The most common one is DMS (di-methyl sulfide) that tastes like cooked corn or is otherwise "vegetal".

This is usually produced during the boil and cooling (while still steaming), so the lid should be off during those times.

Yooper is full of good info!Do you have a phd in beerology?Seriously this guy always knows the REASON to do or not to do something!Sorry I'm kinda hammered,But just wanna say thank you Dr. Yooper.:mug:

LOL Yooper = Female

We have all made that mistake once before too ;)
Yooper = The SWMBO we all wish we had
-Me
EDIT - I mean E-SWMBO

I like the worst of my punishment being a stern warning or a bannage at very worst. Neither one of those will cost me less (or no) poon or alimony.

Sorry yooper.But seriously you should start hanging out with my wife.Share the knowledge.if SWMBO could help,instead of ***** about brewing.I would be one happy man:D

Back