Apfelwein Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soccerbigt

Reaction score
I was wondering if it would be possible to use a different yeast then the Montract one listed in the recipe. The local wine store sells Multi purpose Saccharomyces Byanus, Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast. I was wondering if i could substitute using that yeast so i dont have to make a huge trip to another LHBS.

Thanks so much in advance.

Are Notty and 05 similar to the Lalvin EC-1118?? Sorry for all the questions. I'm very new to this and this recipe seems very easy and would be pretty hard to screw it up.
But it seems like im already on my way haha

Use any Yeast you can. It will be a variation regardless. If you want to Make Apfelwein use montrachet. Everything other yeast will be a variation that is still consumable and get's you drunk.
I've used Montrachet and Nottingham
The montrachet left it much dryer and I'll be using it again for my next batch, (2nd batch in keg and about to be kicked in ~5 more glasses) and all batches after. I like the dryness of it.

I have a batch aging right now.I put about a quart of Fragoli Wild Strawberry Liqueur in it. Looks a little red and the berries are floating on the top. It should be ready in 2 or 3 weeks

I agree that the EC-1118 should be about the closest of the ones listed. I just started a batch of apfelwein (if you can still call it apfelwein with different yeast) last night with it. If you want to wait a month i will let you know how it works out.

I use 1118 for most of my cider like things. It makes real dry cider, but then you can back sweeten after if you want. If you bottle you can use splenda and only back sweeten half the bottles.

Sorry to head slightly off-topic, but what difference would an ale yeast impart compared to a wine/champagne yeast?

I made a cider batch this fall (well before finding this site) using a local cider house and ale yeast. It's still way too sharp and a bit bready, and I'm wondering if that's a by-product of trying ale yeast this time and whether those flavors will mellow out.

My plan was to cellar about half of it until next fall.

I have a batch fermenting at room temperature using a blend of Koelsch and Cali Ale yeast right now that were propagated from old washed yeast using a starter comprised of 50% DME and 50% sucrose.
It's been going for about 2.5 weeks now, so it'll still need another 4-6 weeks before bottling, but I'll report back with my results.

If you use Notty yeast do you have to worry about blow off issues? Can you still fill the carboy as full as using champagne yeast?

I was wondering if it would be possible to use a different yeast then the Montract one listed in the recipe..

This thread will fill in some of the blanks about AW yeast experimentation. I am a convert to AW w/3068 weizen yeast. It's fruitier, less brutally dry, but does require a blowoff.

Back