What should this recipes SG be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righlander

Reaction score
Okay, this is the recipe I'm going to make when i wake up. It's an extract recipe that the dude at the LHBS made and had on tap there. It's a red ale and the beer tasted great, so I decided to make it. The only thing is that the suggested SG seems a bit low. Can anyone plug this in to beersmith or something and tell me what the SG should be? here it is

Red Sky Ale

(Liquid malt extract)
6lbs pale LME

(Cracked Grains) Steeped at 150 for 45 mins
8oz crystal 60 L
2lbs Pale 2 row
1lbs Wheat

1 package Water Crystals
1oz Cascade 60 mins
1oz Cascade 15 mins
1oz Williamette 15 mins
1 pkg Wyeast 1056 American

Says here the SG should be 1.040-1.044

can anyone find out what the SG could be?

Wow ok, I just figured out how to use beer smith and... beer smith says SG:1.062 FG:1.015 ...that's pretty much around where i though it would be

My Irish Red started out at 1.051 and ended up 1.016. Thats pretty normal but some Reds are in the 1.040's.

(Cracked Grains) Steeped at 150 for 45 mins
8oz crystal 60 L
2lbs Pale 2 row
1lbs Wheat

Sounds like more of a partial mash than a steep recipe, these grains' gravity contribution would really depend on how efficiently they were mashed. A 75% efficiency with the mash probably would have given you a 1.062 gravity. It looks like you got about 45-50% conversion on the grains judging by your 1.054 result. Just the extract alone would have given you the 1.040-1.044 as stated.

Sounds like more of a partial mash than a steep recipe, these grains' gravity contribution would really depend on how efficiently they were mashed. A 75% efficiency with the mash probably would have given you a 1.062 gravity. It looks like you got about 45-50% conversion on the grains judging by your 1.054 result. Just the extract alone would have given you the 1.040-1.044 as stated.[/QUOTE

Well I thought it was a rather large amount of steeping grains but, the recipe says "Place crushed grains in to a grain bag and put in to 2 gallons of water. Bring water to 150 degrees F. Turn burner off but leave pot on burner. Let grains steep for 45 minutes". They had it on tap at the LHBS and it was really good. But, we will see. I'll Update on bottling day taste test. I have to admit though the recipe DID seem a bit strange to me but, there's only one way to find out eh?

1 package Water Crystals

WTH is this, never heard of such? Just curious what it is and what effect it may have. Always looking for something to make my beer better. I'm about 70 or 80 gallons in and have never heard of water crystals.

1 package Water Crystals

WTH is this, never heard of such? Just curious what it is and what effect it may have. Always looking for something to make my beer better. I'm about 70 or 80 gallons in and have never heard of water crystals.

1/2 oz water salts. I'm not sure on this but I think it helps make the water better for fermentation. I've made a few recipes that called for water crystals.

I think it will turn out OK, but I do think something in the directions was off. The steeping instructions would make sense for the 8 oz of Crystal 60L by itself, but normally you wouldn't simply steep 2-row base malt and wheat, you'd mash them - which you sort of did, but with better directions they could have contributed more gravity points to the recipe. Mashing the grains all together in 5 quarts of water at 150* for 45 minutes, then sparging (rinsing) the bagged grains in another 5-6 quarts of 170* water would have given you a more efficient mash and higher gravity.

The brewing salts also really only make sense for a mashing procedure. I don't use them myself but maybe your LHBS knows enough about your local water that they include them in the kit knowing they're helpful.

Yeah, It's going to be interesting to see how it comes out. Another thing is the wheat grain. I'm no pro but, I wouldn't think wheat would go in a red ale. Although if it turns out like the one they have on tap (which is supposedly the the recipe they gave me) I'm going to be so stoked! If not, I think I'll go back to the LHBS and be like "What the hell?!". I got the temps just right so...we will see

Back