BLING BLING Electric HERMS Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people arent as lucky... I think technique matters when assembling these things.

I just can't see the element staying stable (I am using the bigger 5500W element too remember) without some reinforcement.

Well I found the pvc cap at Ace hardware, along with the stainless washers I need and the stainless wing nut. The epoxy is curing on the HLT is I type.

Brian, you never picked up your motor today, wifey left it out as you said, it got rained on... Where were you bro?

If it got wet just put it in a 110* oven for 15 minutes to dry it out. I have, on more occasions than I care to admit, spilled something on my keyboard. I simply throw it in the dishwasher and put it in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes to dry it out. I haven't lost a keyboard yet.

Brian, you never picked up your motor today, wifey left it out as you said, it got rained on... Where were you bro?

Dude - I am sorry man - I totally forgot. We had a water issue on friday and today I ended up ripping out all our carpet. Believe me, I would rather have been working on the brew system... Is it ever going to stop frigging raining??? Add the fact that a raccoon has ripped a hole in my roof, and that my parents arrive from Canada in 2 days, and it might indicate where my stress level is... LOL

A little water won't kill the motor as long as I dry it out before I run it. I will plan to pick it up some day when you are around so no worries. I'll call ya and we can set up a time. I am in no rush - have to install about 500 sq feet of hardwood now... sigh.

thanks man
Bryan

Sorry about the floor... I MAY be home Tuesday and Wednedsay of next week, definately on Thursday.

Hey Pol,

When wiring up 240v element I think any safety precaution is a good idea. I started building mine and almost did not do this (before finding this thread).

I have incorporated using a 240v 30 amp double pole switch, but am confused as how to wire it up. The rest of my wiring I am confident in, but this is still not clear to me. Do you wire each leg vertically like a single pole switch or side to side? I realize this is a noob question, but better safe than sorry. Thanks for any input on the wiring of this heavy duty switch.

Hey Pol,

When wiring up 240v element I think any safety precaution is a good idea. I started building mine and almost did not do this (before finding this thread).

I have incorporated using a 240v 30 amp double pole switch, but am confused as how to wire it up. The rest of my wiring I am confident in, but this is still not clear to me. Do you wire each leg vertically like a single pole switch or side to side? I realize this is a noob question, but better safe than sorry. Thanks for any input on the wiring of this heavy duty switch.

OR anybody else who has the answer is welcome to chip in. Thanks in advance guys.

Vertically.

When you flip the switch up, it makes the connection. Now if the switch went left to right, left to right would make sense.

Vertically.

When you flip the switch up, it makes the connection. Now if the switch went left to right, left to right would make sense.

Thanks Pol, that is what I did, but it made be doubt myself when I saw that the top two screws were a brownish black color and the bottom two were a bronze color. It all makes sense to go vertically though.

Thanks for your help and this inspiring thread!

Thanks Pol, that is what I did, but it made be doubt myself when I saw that the top two screws were a brownish black color and the bottom two were a bronze color. It all makes sense to go vertically though.

Thanks for your help and this inspiring thread!

You can always use a multi-meter to check continuity as you work the switch (when it is not attached to any live wires). I got a very cheap one from harbor freight that still works fine.

I am in the final process of collecting the pieces to build this system and have one very important question about wiring. I cannot find 10/4 wire anywhere that is the length I need. The best I can do is splice 3 lengths together at various points in the basement or to run the individual wires through conduit. So the question. Why 10/4 and not 10/3 with a ground?

Thanks,
Scott

10/4 essentially is 10/3+grnd... 2 hot, 1 neutral, 1 ground.

Running individual wires will be much more expensive than buying 10/4 grouped/romex. Are you sure 10 gauge is even heavy enough? What size elements are you running?

If I can find 125' length of 6/4 at Home Depot I am sure 10/4 can be found somewhere, even online I saw places to order...

10/4 essentially is 10/3+grnd... 2 hot, 1 neutral, 1 ground.

Running individual wires will be much more expensive than buying 10/4 grouped/romex. Are you sure 10 gauge is even heavy enough? What size elements are you running?

If I can find 125' length of 6/4 at Home Depot I am sure 10/4 can be found somewhere, even online I saw places to order...

I cannot find it at the Menards, Homedepot or Lowes near me. 10/3 with a ground is what I picked up, but I want to make sure it is ok before I use it.

Doesn't Lowe's/HD have spools of it that you can buy as much as you need off of? You know, the ones on the rotating rack thing...some of those spools look like they hold 500'.

Doesn't Lowe's/HD have spools of it that you can buy as much as you need off of? You know, the ones on the rotating rack thing...some of those spools look like they hold 500'.

Yes, this is how I bought mine. Menards, Lowes and HD have them here. Any sort of wire you can think of, in bulk lengths.

I used 10/4 wire. How many amps are you going to pull? Google it... there are charts that will show you exactly what gauge you need depending on the amps yuou are going to draw.

I draw 23 MAX.

I am building the exact same setup as you pol. There is no 10-4 near me, just 10-3 with a ground. Seems to be the same just no coating on the ground. I think it should be ok, just checking with the experts.

I am building the exact same setup as you pol. There is no 10-4 near me, just 10-3 with a ground. Seems to be the same just no coating on the ground. I think it should be ok, just checking with the experts.

My 10-4 has no coating on the ground. It is wrapped in paper. 10-3 with a ground, to me anyhow, is no different than 10-4. I mean, you have 4 wires, right?

Yep. Red, Black White and uncoated ground. Sounds like I have a winner. I cannot wait to start wiring up next week. I only have all grain kits left now.

Yep. Red, Black White and uncoated ground. Sounds like I have a winner. I cannot wait to start wiring up next week. I only have all grain kits left now.

Yep, that is exactly what I ran from the breaker box to the outlet.

Pol, I just wanted to thank you for the contribution of this thread and your attention to people's inquiries. I am in the final stages of planning an electric 10 gallon system and I have spent countless hours trying to understand every aspect of what I will be building. This thread more than any other has answered SO many of my questions so that I don't even need to ask them. HOWEVER.. be forewarned I may have many for you in the coming weeks or months!

really though, thanks so much, for sharing and for the inspiration!

Pol, I just wanted to thank you for the contribution of this thread and your attention to people's inquiries. I am in the final stages of planning an electric 10 gallon system and I have spent countless hours trying to understand every aspect of what I will be building. This thread more than any other has answered SO many of my questions so that I don't even need to ask them. HOWEVER.. be forewarned I may have many for you in the coming weeks or months!

really though, thanks so much, for sharing and for the inspiration!

Dont mention it...

it was a fun and aggrivating build, but the end product is crazy fun to brew on. Keep the questions coming, I will do my best to help out. This board inspired me, so I am glad that I can pass that on.

HBT must have bought out auberins - no 40 amp SSRs as of 2 minutes ago.

-OCD

LOL. Auber must be getting a lot of business from us...

I brewed on my BREWT (Pol-clone) last night. It is just so easy going... no pressure. I have found I can brew every weekend and not break a sweat.

LOL. Auber must be getting a lot of business from us...

I brewed on my BREWT (Pol-clone) last night. It is just so easy going... no pressure. I have found I can brew every weekend and not break a sweat.

I am glad that you are enjoying it, I am glad that you had the chance to come over and see it in person that day to see that it was all about!

I will be brewing in a week or two, depends on how motivated I am.

I have been following this thread and slowing building my 10 gallon electric HERMS. Can't tell everyone how much I appreciate the help. I do have one question though, and am hoping I didn't make a mistake. When attaching the 10 gauge wire to my 5500 Watt element, I directly wrapped the bare wire ends around the screw and screwed it down. It looked to me as though it was a good connection. I then covered it in JB weld as POL said. I then questioned if I should have gotten one of those ring wire adapters instead of using the bare wire directly on the element. Is this going to be a problem? The only thing I could think of was a potentially bad connection?

Thanks in advance?

I have been following this thread and slowing building my 10 gallon electric HERMS. Can't tell everyone how much I appreciate the help. I do have one question though, and am hoping I didn't make a mistake. When attaching the 10 gauge wire to my 5500 Watt element, I directly wrapped the bare wire ends around the screw and screwed it down. It looked to me as though it was a good connection. I then covered it in JB weld as POL said. I then questioned if I should have gotten one of those ring wire adapters instead of using the bare wire directly on the element. Is this going to be a problem? The only thing I could think of was a potentially bad connection?

Thanks in advance?

You will be fine. I simply couldnt get the wire wrapped around the terminals easily. If you wrapped it, then encased it in JB, should be fine.

One other question, where can I get a distribution block for inside my control panel?

Yah, I used automation direct, it is in the OP with the parts list I think.

Holy ****! I just plowed through all 436 post in this thread! I think my eyes are bleeding!

Pol, what awesome build. I'm in the planning stages for my e-herms setup and I just wanted to thank you, as many others have, for such an informative post. I'm sure that I'll be reading it over and over throughout the coming months!

Holy ****! I just plowed through all 436 post in this thread! I think my eyes are bleeding!

Pol, what awesome build. I'm in the planning stages for my e-herms setup and I just wanted to thank you, as many others have, for such an informative post. I'm sure that I'll be reading it over and over throughout the coming months!

Flattered, thanks. I am a tinkerer, like most men in my family. HBT helped me, I am glad that I can inspire you.

Okay, Pol, I am building this right now.

Stupid question time:

I want to have power to the Auber controller all the time so I can see my kettle temp.

How do I wire this correctly?

1) Do I run 110 to the controller? Before one of my pump switches?
2) Specifically, where do I take the power to the controller? Sorry, I am not familiar with how to read this thing. The output makes sense to me, but the input does not. Is there a wiring diagram somewhere?

Back