William's Paintball Regulator Adapter Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Well it arrived and I tried to take out the plugs of an old regulator and they would not budge. One got stripped out in the process. I got one out, so I can use it for a friends kegerator. I had one on my 20# tank where the Hi End pressure gauge broke (let the tank fall over after a brew fest :drunk:), so I decided to use that one. The instructions are very straight forward on what to do, size of wrench and so on.

I removed the tank adapter and installed the Paintball tank fitting, then I removed the broken gauge and the low side gauge and installed the new ones that came with the kit, so that both are not oriented to read when you screw a paintball tank into it.

Paintball_Regulator_Kit2.jpg

I picked up a 12 oz. tank at Academy for $18 and had it filled for a couple. All you do is screw the tank into the adapter when you are ready to use it and you hear a quick psfft and it is charged.

Paintball_Regulator_Kit1.jpg

I'm impressed with how easy it was to convert it and it's portability. This is not a kludge conversion and it does not leak. The parts came pre-taped and ready to install. Total time spend converting once I found my tool kit was about 7 minutes.

I'll be measuring how many kegs a 12 oz. tank will push, but I now know I can always get a tank at Lowe's on Sunday 4 minutes away.

So far I'm a happy camper with it.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWER_S_EDGE_PAINTBALL_REGUL_P1957.cfm

You always have the best portability ideas Ed. I've never even seen the KEGlove before--that's sweet. It also makes the idea of needing 3 gallon kegs for portability moot.:mug:

I've never even seen the KEGlove before--that's sweet. It also makes the idea of needing 3 gallon kegs for portability moot.

That was pretty much my thought. I may be selling my 3 gallon cornies and portable kegerator soon. :D

The Keglove is a much cleaner solution. I'm going to be testing it this weekend to see how long the temp stays cold in 98 degree heat. I'm pretty much banking on using two ice blankets to swap out on extreme days where the keg won't be consumed quickly (imagine that). I got a second one that is blue so it will be easy to distinguish beers. Bottom line is two kegs and CO2 won't take up much room going to or from a party.

nice work edwort i got the kobalt regulator to stop leaking by putting an extra o-ring in the connection between regulator and bottle. also while filling up the co2 bottle at the paintball store; I picked up the paintball fiiting that Lustreking used in his system (its on here somewhere) just in case i need to fab another one. By the way my local paintball store will fill any "paintball co2 tank" for $2 so I traded my 9oz in for a 20oz. more bang for the buck

One thing to think of when using these tanks. It's not a big deal if you plan on connecting and using till empty. But when unscrewing paintball tanks with air still on them they tend to cut orings. Have a few on hand. Not to mention leaking a lot of air while unscrewing. This comes from lots of paintball experience before we got serious and switched to Compresed Air. I would recommend and on/off. They also sell anitsiphon valves to keep liquid co2 out of the reg and that have and on/off on the side and eliminates the pin valve.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/pntball/items/item.aspx?itemid=1378347
http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin...5gzcN6wmE=?ProductID=wAfAqArbmBwAAAEC8MXjntYa
There are hunddreds of options for these but I would definitely recommend one. they make life 100 times easier. They'll range from 16 bucks like this one to 60 bucks or more. A lot of them will be sold with a "rail" you won't need that obviously and that will bring the price down quite a bit buying one without.

What is cutting the o-rings? The act of removing the cylinder or the CO2 escaping during the process?

I take it that the anti-siphon kit replaces the existing fitting on the bottle.

One thing to think of when using these tanks. It's not a big deal if you plan on connecting and using till empty. But when unscrewing paintball tanks with air still on them they tend to cut orings. Have a few on hand. Not to mention leaking a lot of air while unscrewing. This comes from lots of paintball experience before we got serious and switched to Compresed Air. I would recommend and on/off. They also sell anitsiphon valves to keep liquid co2 out of the reg and that have and on/off on the side and eliminates the pin valve.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/pntball/items/item.aspx?itemid=1378347
http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin...5gzcN6wmE=?ProductID=wAfAqArbmBwAAAEC8MXjntYa
There are hunddreds of options for these but I would definitely recommend one. they make life 100 times easier. They'll range from 16 bucks like this one to 60 bucks or more. A lot of them will be sold with a "rail" you won't need that obviously and that will bring the price down quite a bit buying one without.
I have the Smart Parts PreSet On/Off Valve Adapter on a 20oz tank. I wanted to use a small tank so that in the event of a leak I wouldn't come home and find my 5# tank empty, just 20oz lost.
One thing to note is the threads on the adapter do not extend to the end of the adapter (where the oring is). This isn't a problem for a normal regulator co2 nut, but for the "premium" regulators (such as the MicroMatic that Ed Wort pictured above), the co2 nut is 'short' and will not screw onto the adapter. Instead of ordering the paintball adapter (not the kit either, which is what Ed put on that MicroMatic regulator), I just used a co2 nut from my old regulator and it works great. Note that my gauges are turned 90° (and I have to tilt my head to read them) since the paintball tank has to be vertical.
I got a paintball refill station and have to invert my 5# tank to fill the paintball tank, but overall everything works great.

its seems from my tinkering on this thing that as you unscrew a bottle with gas in it, it lets out full pressure liquid co2 and freezes the o-ring and tends to damage it.

its seems from my tinkering on this thing that as you unscrew a bottle with gas in it, it lets out full pressure liquid co2 and freezes the o-ring and tends to damage it.
That makes an on/off valve (either integral or adapter) useful. I shut the on/off valve before connecting/disconnecting the paintball tank. In my case with the adapter, I HAVE to close the valve as the adapter doesn't have the pin that the regular paintball tank valve has.

Another good thing with the on/off adapter that I got is that it can be moved from one paintball tank to another with ease. The first one linked by IrregularPulse is an integral valve that replaces the original valve. They are not easily changed.

you can get replacement o-rings at any store that carries the most minimal amounts of paintball equipment very cheap. Probubly a couple bucks for 100 or so.

you can get replacement o-rings at any store that carries the most minimal amounts of paintball equipment very cheap. Probubly a couple bucks for 100 or so.

This is true but a PITA. +Especially since this is a travel system. It will be the time he forgets to take orings with that he breaks one.

And yes, the Smart Parts on/off valve replaced the existing valve in the bottle. The anit siphon isn't really ecessary since the tank wil alwasy be upright where as in paintball you set it so the siphon hose is curled pointing towards the sky when the tank is fully screwed in. Good luck with you're ventures Ed.

This is true but a PITA. +Especially since this is a travel system. It will be the time he forgets to take orings with that he breaks one.

I have not yet seen that problem with this system, but to be on the safe side, I have looped a few O-rings on nylon zip tie an hung it around the right side gauge. No forgetting now. Thanks for the tip.

Back