Cleaning Spigots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mZnthebend

Reaction score
What do people do to clean their spigots from bottling, or from their primary? I used one with the Williams "Invert Tube" to make a "siphonless primary" and I became more concerned since it was in contact with the beer for a few weeks.

Does the red portion pop out of the clear portion to clean or is it stuck in their for good?

So far I have just soaked in Oxy-Clean and rinsed with Star-San, while moving the spigot open and closed, but I worry about not getting the inside of the valve.

Anybody have any tips?

That works fine. If you can disassemble and soak, then that is best.

Oxyclean will also sanitize if you use 1 scoop to 1 gallon. Actually I think half that ratio will sanitize, but I tend to go overkill.

basically if you clean the spigot right after using it, before crud can dry, then your current method is fine.

i never use a bucket w/ spigot for primary...too close to the yeast cake on the buckets I can get locally. other brands may work better.

stick to star-san for sanitizing. I just don't trust 'oxyclean supposedly sanitizes at a higher concentration'...especially when oxyclean isn't exactly 'no rinse'.

Never said oxyclean was no rinse. If you look around on here you'll see I have posted links to chemical companies who make Sodium Percarbonate that list the uses of, you'd see that sanatizing is one of them.
'
Hell, they use it for cleaning tripe for goodness sake.

And for your information malkore. Onestep, that many use for a no rinse sanitizer is sodium percarbonate aka Oxyclean! :)

mZnthebend said:
What do people do to clean their spigots from bottling, or from their primary? I used one with the Williams "Invert Tube" to make a "siphonless primary" and I became more concerned since it was in contact with the beer for a few weeks.

Does the red portion pop out of the clear portion to clean or is it stuck in their for good?

So far I have just soaked in Oxy-Clean and rinsed with Star-San, while moving the spigot open and closed, but I worry about not getting the inside of the valve.

Anybody have any tips?

If it looks loke this
spigot.jpg
Then yes the red part comes out. Kinda have to bang it on the counter.

Yup, It's the standard spigot like that one!

I looked back and I guess I wasn't very clear. I took my standard bucket and drilled a hole in it about 3" off the bottom and added a little tailpiece that keeps yeast from settling into the spigot. I thought it worked great, but it increased my concerns about really cleaning the inside of the spigot.

Guess when I get back home, I'll have to beat them apart!!

Thanks Again.

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Never said oxyclean was no rinse. If you look around on here you'll see I have posted links to chemical companies who make Sodium Percarbonate that list the uses of, you'd see that sanatizing is one of them.
'
Hell, they use it for cleaning tripe for goodness sake.

And for your information malkore. Onestep, that many use for a no rinse sanitizer is sodium percarbonate aka Oxyclean! :)

whoa, calm down partner!

My point about oxyclean needing to be rinsed is...if you're not rinsing with boiled/cooled water, how do you know you're not re-introducing bacteria, mold spores, etc??

and I'm aware of one-step...used to use the crap out of it, but hated the residue it left, the granuals that never wanted to dissolve, and its way more expensive than star-san.
plus it works in 30 seconds instead of several minutes.

i love oxyclean free for cleaning. i love star-san for sanitizing.

My water is clean, never had problems. And no wort is ever bacteria free. It's really a race between the large inoculation of yeast cells vs the (usually) comparably tiny number of bacteria.

I don't like no rinse because you never get rid of all the chemicals. I know a micro brewer that for the hell of it had is lab friend analyze the iodine content of several commercial beers. They were 5 times above legal limits.

Back