Honey thinking about adding it to an Ale any ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEERBUILDER

Reaction score
Anyone got any hints on using honey for a pale ale. I think it would be a great addition to a Not so bitter Hop (Not sure what I will use yet). I am new at the game but I am ready to start venturing out and creating my own recipes. Any help would be great.

Most of the flavor gets fermented out and turns into alcohol. It will increase the ABV, but I prefer increased ABV from grain ( or extract ) instead of from honey or sugar. A pound is okay in some recipes, but two pounds or more just seems to taste like fusel alcohol. I like a little bit added to Apfelwein, in place of some of the corn sugar in that recipe.

I used it in my last pilsner batch. It's like any other adjunct. You'll get more alcohol, without adding body. The honey flavor ferments out, but I like using it as an adjunct better than corn sugar or rice syrup. I personally wouldn't use it in a typical Pale Ale. If your looking to add some sweetness to your brew, you might try adding a small amount (.25lb - .5lb) of Gambrius Honey Malt to your mash, or steep it in your extract brew.

Back