What stupid things did you used to think were true?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to think Kit Extracts were as far as I'd go till I invested into some serious equipment (grain crusher, wort chiller, mash tun (don't even know what that's used for)). Then I found out about DME and LME. Already planning my first L/DME brew.

I remember when I started a thread about using Culligan/Sparkletts water jugs as carboys. I thought I had made a breakthrough in homebrewing! I had found a cheap way to get Better Bottles. And then Yuri said I deserved to be flogged.

Now I see 1 or 2 "Plastic Water Jug" threads a week!!!:D

Way to many things to put down. I have learned more about beer in the months I have brewed/ been on HBT. Mainly on HBT then I ever thought I could know.

Bernie Brewer said:
I used to think brewing AG would be complicated.

I used to think decoction mashes would be complicated.

I used to think yeast washing would be complicated.

I used to think lots of stuff would be complicated.

HBT changed all that.

Dang it! You nailed it!

+1

I used to think all homebrewers were EAC's till I became one. :D

Actually, there are great folks here that helped me move from extract to All Grain. Rich Brewer on his PM thread and David42 were instrumental in my move to AG. Thanks to HBT and you guys!

I get a kick in passing on what I've learned here and the feedback I get on questions.

HBT Rocks!

Fingers said:
14 cornies is not enough?

:( I only have five. :(
Just ordered four more Friday night.

Leads me to this:

I used to think the combination of drinking homebrew and surfing on-line HB suppliers was safe (as in resisting the temptation to whip out the credit card).

W R O N G ! ! !

I used to think wines were more interesting and varied than beer.
Actually, that was true in the '70s!

I used to think I was advanced when I started doing AG. Now I realize I have lots more to learn (like starting a yeast bank or learning to modify my water to style.) Thanks HBT!

I used to think 17 kegs were going to enough. Now I think I need to go pick up 8 to 10 more.

I used to think I wouldn't bottle anymore once I started kegging. Now I'm thinking of doing lots of specialty beers and bottling them so I don't take up any more cornies than I need.

I used to think homebrew was subpar to commercial. (Anything made in a garage must taste like gasoline). Now I marvel that some of my brews taste as good if not better than many commercial examples ot the same style.

Here's one from a noob...

Before I did any research, I thought letting something ferment in a bucket would be unsanitary. I've never cleaned anything in my kitchen as much as I've cleaned/sanitised my brewing equipment.

I used to think homebrewing would be too tedious, whereas I could just go buy beer from the store.

I used to think the majority of craft beers tasted funny.

I used to think LaBatt's Blue Light was the ONLY beer to drink.

I used to think my wife would supportive of me brewing all the time, any time...

I used to think cinnamon would be PERFECT for apfelwein.

I used to think I had "enough" airlocks and carboy caps.

I used to think OneStep was better.

I used to think I didn't like hops (I just don't like Cascade)

I used to think that all yeast fermented out the same.

I used to think that HAD to be mold...

"(Anybody who thinks fermenting Apfelwein stinks, ought to get a whif of this stnuff...)"

Man you are not kidding fermenting Apfelwein really stinks... Had the shut the door or my guest room to keep the whole house from stinking up.

I used to think that if you followed the instructions for Mr.Beer you would have good results.

I used to think that some beers were too far out there to try, now I am more than willing to try something at least once.

I used to think I'd get to a certain level of homebrewing and be satisfied with my equipment and results.

I used to think that talking to complete strangers on the internet was something I didn't want to get involved in, now I look forward to answering questions on the forum, shooting the shix in the chat-room, and actually meeting some people from the forum.

I used to drink a 6 pack of beer in a month, now I can go through double the amount in a week sometimes.

I used to think Hot Side Aeration was real.

I used to think that going all grain would take up way too much time and money.

I used to think that my father knew how to brew :)

He but salt in the beer
Every time :confused: :eek:

I used to think that homebrew was made from cheap kits and made a couple of kinds of cheap beer.

I used to think that 1+1=beer. Now I know that a million things can affect making beer.

I used to think that you needed to keep the yeast warm (like ~37C) and have a special setup for fermentation.

I used to think that craft beers meant murky, overpowering beer.

I used to think I'd probably never bother with AG, now my fourth batch is a partial mash and I'm looking forward to some simple AG.

I used to think I'd make one batch and wait to see how it turned out before making another (I'm done my fourth and I haven't even had a bottle of my first).

Oh, I was so naive....about four weeks ago!

I used to believe that I had all the equipment that I wanted. Now I realize that I only have all the equipment that I need.

I used to think that there was NO WAY that I would ever brew more than 200 gallons of beer in a year.

I used to think that there was NO WAY that I'd ever be able to drink/have my friends help me drink all of the beer that I make.

I used to think that Yuri was actually a DIY robot alien from Groom Lake.

I havent even bottled my first batch, but I used to think dark beer was an acquired taste and if you didn't like it right away then it just wasn't for you.

A few good stouts changed all that.

I used to think that it wouldn't be a problem to directly harvest the CO2 from the blowoff and run it into our fish tank. The plants loved it, the beer was pretty bad. Don't think our carboy's ever got as clean as they needed to be either...
nary a decent batch in them days...

Nurmey said:
I used to think I didn't like beer. My only point of reference was swill for the masses.
+1 on that
I used to think I didn't like Belgian Beers
I used to think home brewing would save me money.
I used to think I could win over my wife and family with great beer I brewed.

Craig

ohiobrewtus said:
I used to think that there was NO WAY that I would ever brew more than 200 gallons of beer in a year.

And of course you don't. (wink wink nudge nudge)

I used to think Miller was a Pilsner. ( a looong time ago)

I used to think I'd never bother brewing a yellow beer, right now I'm drinking a Bee Cave Kolsch...

Latest posts

Back