What's in your fermenter(s)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
American brown ale
Raspberry mead in 2nd ferm
Blueberry mead in 2nd ferm
Plain mead in 2nd ferm

2013-08-27 14.21.23.jpg

Another batch of what will henceforth be termed Mike's F%#@ed Up Porter (it was supposed to be a Dry Irish Stout for a beer festival back in April, but when I got a lb of Black Patent instead of Roasted Barley it became a robust stout(er)). Turned out good enough that I did a rebrew on Sat. for my brother for his b-day.

Russian Imperial Stout - I've had Oak cubes soaking in port for 100 days in anticipation of this batch

Simcoe/Citra IPA (KamaSimtra) - based off a successful single hop Citra IPA (Holy Citra)....yay

10 gallons of Pliny the Younger clone
5 gallons of Belgian Wit
5 of German Weizen

Looking forward to trying the Pliny the Younger more than any beer I've probably made!

Kal

10 gallons of Pliny the Younger clone
5 gallons of Belgian Wit
5 of German Weizen

Looking forward to trying the Pliny the Younger more than any beer I've probably made!

Kal
Hope you do a thread on that one Kal. I just started drinking mine. Not cloned, but it's a damn fine beer at any rate. Couldn't quite get mine to finish dry enough.

Mine's mostly Scott's recipe here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pliny-younger-clone-332084/

I have to say, not sure I'll be doing it again as the amount of hop oil was a pain in the arse to clean! That stuff took 3/4 bottle of oxiclean!

Kal

I feel ya. I used isohop extract, but same deal. Just a mess. I think I'd rather just sacrifice the wort and do it with pellet hops in the future.

Credit where it's due, I used Scott's recipe as well.

My attempt to copy Jasper's "I Eat Danger for Breakfast Stout". Missed my OG by about ten points, and didn't calculate my boil-off right so I had to top off (so maybe I really didn't miss my OG by that much), but it still smelled pretty awesome in the fermenter. Looking forward to taking a gravity reading this weekend and tasting the sample!

1. Lambic. About 16 months old, will get bottled at about 24 months old.
2. English Barleywine. Will get transferred to a secondary over the weekend to sit for a few months.
3. Milk Stout. Gets bottled in ~2 weeks.
4. English IPA. Gets dry hops in ~1 week, then bottled in ~2 weeks.
5. 1 gallon of Yooper's Welch's Grape Concentrate Wine
6. 1 gallon of my first Mead. Keeping it simple with a straight up basic dry mead.
7. 1 gallon Maple Wine. Treating it just like a Mead, but with maple syrup instead of honey.
8. 1 gallon Apfelwein.
9. 1 gallon Skeeter Pee.

English Barleywine is in secondary. Decided to oak it for a few months in the process. And since that rotten WLP099 ate way too much and destroyed the residual sweetness and body and took it town to 1.004, after a few months in secondary I think I'll bottle with Brett and see what happens.

English IPA has dry hops (I dry hop in primary). Other than that, everything else is the same as above.

And add to that a kitchen sink Smoked Black Saison from this weekend.

I feel ya. I used isohop extract, but same deal. Just a mess. I think I'd rather just sacrifice the wort and do it with pellet hops in the future.

Credit where it's due, I used Scott's recipe as well.

I don't think the extract is just for wort recovery, but also to avoid possible vegetal flavors from using so many bittering hops.

I don't think the extract is just for wort recovery, but also to avoid possible vegetal flavors from using so many bittering hops.
Correct. I already had close to a pound of hops in my 10 gallon batch (added from 45 min to 0). I can only imagine how much you'd need to get the equivalent of the 16 hop shot oil vials. That would be nuts.

Kal

5.5 gallons of ten fidy clone. was supposed to be a 1.100 OG stout.
i didn't think about or adjust my water volume for the mash and ended up at 1.082 :(
im soaking 2 oak spirals in maker's mark and will add them to the beer after about 10 days. i'm kinda pysched on this one!

1.5 gal of JAOM-with local clover honey, 1.5 gal of local wildflower/basswood mead, 1.5 gal of local wildflower/blueberry mead, both with D47 yeast. And soon to have a pyment in my now empty 3 gallon carboy which will have grape/bluberry/honey-fermenting. :rockin::ban: Celebrating this thought whilst having a 2 brothers Resistant IPA. And so starts the long ass wait.......and......... wait... and I thought the patience of homebrewing beer was hard at first? ****, Ill probably have my fist kid before these are drinkable yet. And I havent even got started on the kid thing yet.

I went a bit overboard after checking out my beer inventory and saw I was on my last case.....so, within the past 3 weeks, I've brewed 6 gallon batches of the following:

Oktoberfest -Currently lagering
Blonde APA - dry hopped and clearing in secondary
Golden APA - Lightly dry hopped and clearing in secondary
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel ale - currently aging in the whisky Barrel
Harpoon IPA clone - Dry Hopped and clearing in Secondary
Hoptimum Clone - In Secondary Clearing -will Dry Hop -this already tastes great
Centennial IPA Clone - In primary
Blond APA made with Cascade hops from my plants.

I'll be set for a week or two...LOL

My very first brew is in right now. Its a Brewer's Best Kolsch (extract). Has been in the primary for 8 days now and I've made SWMBO lock me out of the pantry until day 14 lest I give in to the dark side and bottle.

My very first brew is in right now. Its a Brewer's Best Kolsch (extract). Has been in the primary for 8 days now and I've made SWMBO lock me out of the pantry until day 14 lest I give in to the dark side and bottle.
Come to the dark side, we have cookies...:fro:

I'm re-fermenting some red rice wine, it came out a little sweet so I'm trying some distillers yeast in it.

I have a "pseudo" honey wheat in primary, made from a Midwest Cherry Wheat kit I was given. The "cherry" extract tasted more like Robitussin, so it went in the trash & I added 1 cup of local honey & 1 cup light brown sugar, as well as a 1/2 oz Nugget hops straight from my bines. Smells amazing, hit 1.056 on OG, so we'll see what turns out.

My big American Barley Wine in honor of my sick dog. 12.5% (Planned for 10%) 110 IBU with Chinook, Belma, and Mosiac aroma + dry hop additions and bittered with Warrior.

Week into a 6 month aging before bottling. Doing my first labels and waxing too.

Primary: The Great Pumpkin (zymergy recipe), Imperial IPA
Secondary: Surly Bitter Brewer clone, English Barleywine, American Barleywine

Brewed 11 gallons of Mild yesterday pitched with Wyeast 1318, have 6 gallons of RyePA to be kegged, have 6 gallons of creme brulee stout ready to keg, and have 5 gallons of wildflower mead aging patiently.

Fresh Hop Black IPA (BYO extract recipe). my first year Cascades produced exactly 5 oz of hops.... can't want to try it. thinking of dry hopping with more cascade pellets.

I've got a Black IPA bubbling as well. Rye in the grain bill. Used big late additions of Citra, Simcoe and Centennial. Stoked.

Red rye IIPA ready for a massive dry hop, a sour red, a sour brown (due for tart cherries and oak this week), and a Belgian pale ale fermented with the (german heff) Weihenstephan yeast.

Back