Secondary temp controller for keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToastedPenguin

Reaction score
Building a keezer from an 14.8 chest freezer I got off of CL. I am going with one of the love controllers, just haven't settled on which one yet as their are several options.

I initially was looking at the TSX-10140, however this unit is not longer being made so I looked at the TSX3-500122, which is supposed to be its sudo replacement unit. Then after discussing my needs with a sales engineer at one of the resellers they suggested the TSS2-2100 because I wanted to have a controller that could run the freezer as well as a fan to circulate the cool air towards the top of the unit.

The price of the 2 temp TSS2-2100 and 2 probes made me re-evaluate the need for a fancy controller to control a simple fan since I could spend the $ elsewhere and just stay with a lesser expensive love controller for my needs.

So I am interested in advice on a "priced right" temp controller I could use to control just the fan that would be inside of the freezer. I don't mind a DIY build and soldering isn't an issue. I want the fan to also shut off when the lid is open so suggestions on a pressure switch that could be used would be great also.

Thanks!!

keezer.JPG

I'm not clear on why you are going to all this trouble just to operate the fan intermittently. You could very easily wire the fan to run with the compressor, or do like I do and run the fan continuously 24/7. I've experimented with various configurations and I get the best results running the fan continuously. Very little cold air is lost when opening the freezer lid even while the fan is running. With multiple kegs you have a very large thermal mass. The temps change only very slowly. Opening the lid for a few minutes now and then will have a negligible effect on cooling or power consumption. These freezers are quite efficient and don't use much power at all if set up properly.

look at the ebay temp controller build in my signature, a ton of people have used that one for a keezer, including me, and it works fine. you could just run a plug from the fan and plug in both the keezer and fan into the switched outlet. or consider not using a fan, i don't use one in my keezer (which is about the same size as yours) and it works fine.

My collar is 9 3/8" tall so I just want to push some cool air up there in case its to warm at that height. I suppose it is overkill trying to run a fan based in temp. The idea of switching the fan on/off using the temp controller makes sense and is cheap since I was going to put an outlet in the back of the collar that is switched by the controller and plug the freezer into that. Or I can just keep it running 24/7 as suggested, either way the advice saves me $$$.

Back