Started to pick 1st year hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker18

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I was kind of forced into it. After massive wind storms took down 2 of the varieties, broken strings, and very hot dry winds were browning the hops. Fuggles smells great, got about half to 3/4 lb wet weight from these. Zeus was really starting to brown off and the cones were very open and loose, but they smelled pretty grassy when I was picking them. Hopefully this is normal for them, got over a pound wet weight. Centenials were the most interesting. I had several, probably 20 to 30 cones out of 3/4 lb wet weight, that looked like the cone started, then stretched a little, put out new leaves, and then another cone. And these were massive, three times larger than the other cones. Does this often happen? I am not a cousin consumer, but they looked like that.
Columbus will probably be a few days away, and then the rest will fight to make it in before frost. Fingers crossed.
Will put up a few pics later.

The "leafy" cones are called angels. My cascade and Zues have done it, but not this year. Perfectly normal and you can pluck the leaves if you want but not necessary.

Zues and Columbus are considered to be the same variety by the PNW growers from what I have read. My Zues are late harvesters, about two weeks behind the cascade. The cones are very tight and dense. Last year, the first, they were similar except there were some pretty giant cones that kind of got loose looking. They still were dense as far as weight went.

Good luck and keep growing!

Back