New batch started today apple pineapple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CATfishTONY

Reaction score
6-gallon glass jug
4-gallons pure apple juice IGA 100% juice
1-quart pineapple juice dole 100% juice
7# sugar from cane
water to top of jug
one air lock
yeast will be distillers DADDY brand clean finish yeast
room temp 65-69 deg.
last week i made a small version in a one gallon jug and after 7 days it was
real good so i made a bigger batch to bottle up and cure out.

i added the juice to the jug
then boiled and cooled to 160 deg then mixed water with sugar and let stand to cool a little
yeast booster food and fuel was added
then add the sugar water shook to add air and pitch yeast.
all tools and jugs were cleaned with ez clean
i hope the larger batch turns out like the 1 gallon jug tasted real sweet and clean for just a week plus it had a heck of a kick from just two glasses so i was told.

all 3 batches i have made pack the holy grail of head aches
have i done something wrong?
i used 100% apple juice
sugar table
yeast daddy brand distillers
and yeast boost
water spring to top off
finish was dry so i mixed in sugar to taste after 3 weeks @ bottle time

Don't use distiller's yeast! That's your problem.

Oh, and your other problem is you're going to have bottle bombs!:cross:

Sounds like the problem is your yeast. distillers DADDY brand yeast ferments up to 22%! Thats no longer cider. Not even sure if its still wine...:D

Mcduff

Sounds like the problem is your yeast. distillers DADDY brand yeast ferments up to 22%! Thats no longer cider. Not even sure if its still wine...:D

Mcduff

well, if the sugars arent present you cant get that high, but thats another point.

Distillers yeast will throw out all kinds of higher alcohols that will give headaches.

Drinking anything fermented with distillers yeast is a really bad idea. Some of those fusel alcohols can kill you.

+1 on the bottle bombs comment. people really need to be careful with that. I've been repeating the same thing all over the forums so that noobies don't make the mistake.

Easy: Dry carb'd cider, Dry Still cider, Still sweet cider

Hard: Sweet Carb'd cider
(unless you have a kegging setup)

it was the yeast, thank you for the help. last batch came out ok but just not the same kick
it tested out @ 12% in stead of 23% but no head ache. i never new apples could pack this kinda punch.

Hi guys... Freezeblade got me thinking... I have not yet finished my first brew and I didn't even ask about bottling yet after I wrote my first thread on this forum about help with cider... I also forgot to mention I DID use a hint of pineapple juice in this first attempt at home brewing... I used 12fl. Oz. to my 5 gal or apple juice...
Is this bad? It's day 3 and I do see bubbles.. About one a sec..
At the risk of being redundant & since this has been an active thread I will tell you guys the story...
I have never brewed anything before in the past but my dad has a few winemaking kits at his business. He is not really knowledgeable on this subject so I need to seek more advice...
I wanted to do some cider for Christmas, and I found a few YouTube videos on homebrewing apple cider the easy way...
This is what I have done so far and the equipment I am using: I have a 5 gallon water jug that is plastic (like the kind you put on top of the water cooler)... I have an airlock, Lalvin yeast from the Champagne region, I'm not quite sure if it's champagne yeasts? I added 4 gallons of pasteurize no preservative apple juice to that jug, I took the fifth gallon and warmed it (not warm, just Luke warm, enough to dissolve the brown sugar) on the stove... I added 1 cup of brown sugar for every gallon of apple juice (5cups total) and the recipe for the holiday cider said add cinnamon and nutmeg so I added 7 teaspoons of cinnamon and 3 teaspoons of nutmeg.. I made sure I cleaned everything really well with bleach and water (one Cap of bleach to 1 gallon of water)... I put my bung and airlock in, added hot water to the lock and took it to the garage... It has been there for 2 days but it's only 40° or so at night and I'm told that's too cold so I've brought into the house... I got "suck back" because I picked up the plastic jug and it moves or flexes and the level dropped so now I've added vodka to my airlock (better for suck back right?)... The thing that makes me nervous is I hear fruit flies or bugs are attracted to the smell of alcohol... I'm also worried that I did not sanitize everything perfect, when I added the brown sugar, nutmag and cinnamon I forgot to sanitize the spoons that I stirred with... They were washed with hot water and dishwashing soap a few days before and put in the drawer but I don't know if that did it? I'm just kind of nervous. Since I brought the jug in the house I'm starting to see some bubbling now but I had to move it a few times and each time I get suck back and keep having to add vodka to the airlock...lol... (2 or 3 times)
Someone said it's pretty hard to screw up but a few other guys are scaring me about bacteria and fruit flies...
Anything anybody can add or tell me would really really help me out a lot!
Also when do you guys think this will be done? I heard fermentation should only take three weeks?

Any ideas?

Sorry guys, I am being redundant, I flipped to my other thread and saw a bunch of answers... I thought it was not getting look at because maybe I had posted it in a small area of the forum but I was wrong... But if this should happen to notify you of thread activity and you still want to chime in any information is good

Back